Images not floating properly in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
shannon
Propeller Head

Images not floating properly in PDF

Post by shannon »

I am having a problem getting my images to appear correctly my PDF output. I am using a page layout with two columns. I have set the float position for the images to right. If there is only one image on a page, this works correctly. If there is more than one image on the page, the images in the left column appear correctly. However, the images that should be in the right column, as well as the text that should appear next to the images gets pushed to the left of the image in the left column. I have tried changing the Clear setting to None, but this does not seem to have any impact at all. Any ideas?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Images not floating properly in PDF

Post by LTinker68 »

Try setting the clear property to "both". I think "none" is the default setting ("not set" in Flare speak), so there wouldn't be any change.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
shannon
Propeller Head

Post by shannon »

OK, I set the clear property to "Both". Now the images in the left column appear correctly (as they did before). The images in the right column appear on the right side of the right column as they should. But, the images in the right column are still not in the correct place vertically. The first image in the right column is pushed below the last image in the left column. And, in the right column, there is blank space where there should be text when there is an image in the left column.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are your images smaller than the width of the columns?

Lisa
shannon
Propeller Head

Post by shannon »

Yes, the images are smaller than the width of the columns. So, something seems wrong here. I set the Clear property to Both, but this is not really what is happening. What it is actually doing is wrapping the text on the left side of the image and jumping the image on the right side. It seems to me that the image placement in the left column should not affect the right column at all.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you apply the float property to the img tag or did you put the image in a DIV and put the float property on the DIV?

Lisa
shannon
Propeller Head

Post by shannon »

I applied the float property to the image itself.
Right-click the image, select Object, select the Position tab, and then set the Float, Clear, and Vertical Alignment properties.
I do not have the image in a DIV. Should I?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

No, you don't need it in a DIV. I was going to suggest if it was in a DIV that you set the width of the DIV to the width of the image because I think the default width of a DIV is 100%, and I thought it might be screwing up the positioning.

I'm out of easy ideas of things to check. I'd have to try recreating the scenario here to see if I can replicate. What are the size of your columns and gutter in the page layout, and what are the dimensions of the images you're using?

Lisa
shannon
Propeller Head

Post by shannon »

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Here are the dimension:
Page Size: 5.5"x7"
Body Frame: 4.82"x6.25"
Columns: 2
Gap: .20"
The size of each image is approximately 1 inch square.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Hmmm. It worked for me, both by setting the float properties via the stylesheet or by modifying the images directly using the Object option. When I used the Object options, I only set the float property -- I didn't set anything else. And I selected the float options of left and right and none of the more advanced positioning options (right of frame, outside frame, etc.).

What font and font-size are you using for your content?

Also, for the image on the right, where was the cursor when you inserted the image? Was it at the beginning of a sentence that's clearly in the right column, or was it at the beginning of a sentence that's close to moving from one column to the other, or did you try placing the image at the end of a paragraph? Are there any headings in the topic?

If you create a brand new topic and set it to use the same page layout, and just copy-and-paste the default starting text ("Delete this text and replace it with your own content.") over and over again using the standard <p> tag, then insert the images and float them, then does it still happen?

Lisa