PDF in Flare 4 - error about add-on and Word 2007 required

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF in Flare 4 - error about add-on and Word 2007 required

Post by mattf »

I searched the forum for info about this, since it's been a while since I've checked in here, but don't see anything about it. When I set my target options to generate a PDF, I get an error that an add-on and Word 2007 are required. I thought that Flare 4 was supposed to generate "straight-to-PDF". Am I missing something? Is there a KB handy about this, or a thread I missed?

Thanks all,

-matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF in Flare 4 - error about add-on and Word 2007 required

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you create a new PDF target? If you use a Word target and tell it to generate a PDF output, then it'll probably still look for Word 2k7 or Framemaker to generate the PDF. You need to select PDF in the Basic tab of the new target.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Oh, I get it. There's a whole new target type. Wow, but you can still set the flag for PDF in the Word targets. That's confusing. What would the difference normally be between a) selecting the PDF option in the Word target and b) creating a new PDF target? My assumption is no difference except that in a) you'd get both outputs?

Thanks Lisa.

-matt
Matt F
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Yikes, that is ugly. I guess now I gotta go back and read all these threads about incorrect margins and topics not starting on a new page.
Matt F
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

mattf wrote:What would the difference normally be between a) selecting the PDF option in the Word target and b) creating a new PDF target?
I'm assuming the purpose of your option "a" is mainly for those who use Framemaker and have things set up in a certain way in FM that are picked up during the PDF build. But I don't have FM and have never used it and have only glanced at FM-related threads in the forums, so I don't know if there's a real difference to FM users between building through FM or building directly to PDF without going through FM.

There are a couple of different settings between the Word and PDF targets. Plus, the Word target will build Word and PDF outputs if you set it up that way, but the PDF target will only build PDF files.

Personally, I'm now ignoring Word output entirely since I can get a fancier in direct-to-PDF output and because Word is so frickin' picky about background images, images for bullets, and so on.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

LTinker68 wrote:
mattf wrote:What would the difference normally be between a) selecting the PDF option in the Word target and b) creating a new PDF target?
I'm assuming the purpose of your option "a" is mainly for those who use Framemaker and have things set up in a certain way in FM that are picked up during the PDF build.
Not to mention that the feature has been there for a long time and it works, so why remove it and risk collateral breakage?
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare