Parentheses not staying with text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Parentheses not staying with text

Post by navoff »

For my PDF output, I have some topics with text in parentheses, but the open or closed parenthesis isn't staying with the text. For example:
parenthesis_example1.png
parenthesis_example2.png
As you can see, it happens in a regular paragraph as well as in a table cell. Is there some setting in the stylesheets in Flare that will change this behavior or is this something that should be considered a bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
--Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Parentheses not staying with text

Post by LTinker68 »

I just reported a similar problem with words that have a font-variant of "small-caps" set on them. For instance, if the word "Search" had a span tag around it with small-caps set on that span class, then the "S" would be at the end of the first line and "earch" would be at the beginning of the next line. Likewise, hyphens are wrapping to the next line instead of staying on the first line. And I have noticed something similar with parentheses, too. You'll note in your example that the parentheses is next to text that has a span tag or the <i> or <em> tags around it -- I think the tags enclosing the text are throwing off Flare about how to break words and how to keep hyphens and parentheses with the correct text.

So make sure you submit a bug report at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

In the meantime, if you have the XML Editor set to print display, and you have the topic in the TOC with the appropriate print layout applied to it, then you get a good idea of where problem hyphens and parentheses are. In those cases, try adding some extra blank spaces (Shift + space) to get the text to wrap correctly.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Parentheses not staying with text

Post by navoff »

LTinker68 wrote:I just reported a similar problem with words that have a font-variant of "small-caps" set on them. For instance, if the word "Search" had a span tag around it with small-caps set on that span class, then the "S" would be at the end of the first line and "earch" would be at the beginning of the next line. Likewise, hyphens are wrapping to the next line instead of staying on the first line. And I have noticed something similar with parentheses, too. You'll note in your example that the parentheses is next to text that has a span tag or the <i> or <em> tags around it -- I think the tags enclosing the text are throwing off Flare about how to break words and how to keep hyphens and parentheses with the correct text.
Until you pointed that out (that the parenthesis is next to text surrounded by <i> tags or in this case, I think used <cite> tags) I hadn't noticed that it does only seem to happen with that kind of situation. I guess for the short term, I can just put the parentheses inside the style tags. That should solve the problem (at least well enough to send my document out to our customers). Thanks!

However, I will also report this as a bug.
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
--Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson