Quickest way to add header/footer to Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Geddy
Jr. Propeller Head

Quickest way to add header/footer to Word output

Post by Geddy »

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to successfully create a Word output file with the same header/footer on every page. What is the quickest way to do this?

What I tried doing is creating 2 seperate topics called Header and Footer and adding them to my TOC. I added a Header/Footer proxy to the appropriate HTML file, but then it asked me if I wanted it to be on the first page, odd pages, or even pages. I would like the same header/footer on every single page. I tried looking in the documentation but it was a little confusing and it didn't end up working properly.

Could anyone offer me some guidance?

Thank you!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Quickest way to add header/footer to Word output

Post by LTinker68 »

Don't do it as separate files. You can either use a masterpage or a page layout (if you have Flare v4). Either one will add the text to every topic in the project. If you're using a masterpage, you insert text above the bodyProxy that will be the header, and insert text below the bodyProxy that will be the footer. In a page layout, you insert a header frame or a footer frame. (If you're just doing Word output then you might want to stick with masterpages.)

In the target for the Word output, select the masterpage or page layout you're using. (You can only use one or the other, not both.) You won't see the content from the masterpage until you build the output. I don't have Flare open at the moment, but I believe if you're using page layouts and have the XML Editor set to show print output then you might see the header and footer while you're authoring. If not (if my memory is faulty), then you'll see the header and footer when you generate the output.

One last thing... If you're using page layouts, then when you add the topic to the TOC, you have to specify where new chapters start. If you're only using one page layout, then you only have to specify that page layout on the first TOC entry -- all the other topics will use the same page layout.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Quickest way to add header/footer to Word output

Post by SteveS »

If you use the masterpage approach, you will still need the head or footer proxies.

I'd suggest you use a table approach and create a single row table with 3 columns. Right align the right column, centre align the middle one and leave the left hand one as left aligned. That will give you the maximum flexibility as your project matures. You'll need to add a proxy for each of the first, odd and even pages.

The sample print page from Madcap is a great place to start!

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.