How to pick only few files for .doc or .pdf creation?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Petra
Jr. Propeller Head

How to pick only few files for .doc or .pdf creation?

Post by Petra »

Hello

maybe this was alreday discussed but because of the specifics of the problem I somehow do not know how to search for the answer...

So, my problem is as follows:

I am sending online help topic for review always in .doc or .pdf format. For that I need to create a word or pdf document only from the selected topics (the ones which I created anew or updated). When setting options for generating printed documentation, there is no option for selecting only specific files to be generated and it seems like only whole project can be generated.

Do you have any idea how to do that - pick only few files, out of wich a word document is created (for example, in Robo Help, this was not a problem) - or does it mean that this is not an option in Flare at all? :?

Now when I am deciding whether to upgrade Robo Help or start using Flare, though I like Flare much more, this is a big issue for me.

Thanks for any answers.

Petra
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to pick only few files for .doc or .pdf creation?

Post by KevinDAmery »

Hi, Petra, and welcome to the forums.

Flare doesn't have a feature to automate this process, unfortunately. What you could do as a workaround, though, is create a Word target specifically for changed material with its own unique TOC. Then what you do is, each time you need a review cycle you clear the TOC of all topics and add in any topics that need to be reviewed. Then you build that topic. It's more manual than I would like, but it will get the job done.

If you would like to see this behviour changed, I would submit a feature request: according to Madcap, the more people ask for something the more likely it is to be implemented in a future version. You can add feature requests and bug reports here:

http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare