popup window style in print

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Sys-Rikke
Propeller Head

popup window style in print

Post by Sys-Rikke »

Hi,

In my online manual I have quite a lot of popup windows which are styled as links (to indicate they can be acitivated), but in my printed output I do not want them to stand out, since they are pretty much useless in print. Can anyone tell me how to remove the 'link-style' in my printed output?

I should say that I also have 'real links' in my printout which I would like to keep to make it easier for the users to jump between sections. So maybe my problem is really to differentiate between the popup link and the topic link.

kind regards
Rikke
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: popup window style in print

Post by KevinDAmery »

In the stylesheet, go to the "a" style and open the "popup" sub grouping. Here you will find the various link styles for popups (i.e. link, visited, etc.).

For your purposes, you now want to change the stylesheet medium from "Default" to "Print." This will allow you to change how the styles look in print output. From here, you just make sure that all of the popup link styles look the same as your "p" style.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Sys-Rikke
Propeller Head

Post by Sys-Rikke »

My problem may be that I do not have a sub-group to 'a' called called 'popup' or similar, so if I change the 'a' group I also loose the visual indikation of my topic/section links. Can I create a subgroup and how do I do this in the easiest way - I guess there is no easy way of updating the popups, is there?? :(
- I Would have to create a new style and apply it to every single one manually, right?

:Rikke
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Hi, Rikke.

Yes, you do have the popup group: they're part of the default stylesheet setup for Flare. However, they may not be visible unless you switch the stylesheet editor into Advanced mode (Simplified doesn't seem to show them for some reason). Click on the Advanced button at the top of the stylesheet editor; this will change the interface to a tree instead of a grid. You can then click on the plus beside the a style to get at the subgroupings. You may also want to change the view type from Show: Assorted Relevant Properties to Show: Property Groups.

You won't have to change any of your topics. The popup style automatically applies for any links that are set to open in popup windows rather than full pages.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I want to make one slight modification to Kevin's instructions. The popup class under the <a> tag doesn't control the links to all popups -- only those popups that you have specified to use the popup class. So when you create a link, you can send the destination to a Popup Window (doesn't use popup style) and you can set the class to "popup" (does use popup style).

If you never used the popup class in any of your hyperlinks, then you'll want to modify the pseudo-classes underneath the <a> tag, not the pseudo-classes under any classes beneath the <a> tag ("popup" is a class of the <a> tag and has its own set of pseudo-classes).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Sys-Rikke
Propeller Head

Post by Sys-Rikke »

Hi Kevin and Lisa,

Thank you for your input. You say that I DO have the popup subgroup in my stylesheet, but my stylesheet looks like this:
stylesheet.gif
Could this be because my project is originally a Robohelp project which has been converted to Flare???
Not sure how to proceed...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

What version of Flare are you running? I think the popup style under the <a> tag was added in v3. Maybe 2.5, but I think it was v3. And the main pseudo classes for the base <a> tag are the last set, the one just above the body tag.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Sys-Rikke
Propeller Head

Post by Sys-Rikke »

I'm using version 4.1.

Sys-Rikke
Propeller Head

Post by Sys-Rikke »

I still do not understand why my style sheet does not have the needed popup class as expected, but I have made a fix:

1. Create a subclass to "a" called popup
2. Change print medium for popup class to follow "normal" (no change of colour and no underline)
3. Manually change all links in manual that has a popup (in the online) to use the new popup class which will then not be visible in printed manual.

Thanks again for your input
Rikke