page breaks before dt items

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

page breaks before dt items

Post by bonnie »

I have set my <dt> to page-break-after=avoid so that the definition term doesn't get separated from the definition itself. For some reason, though, I end up with cases where I get a page break before the term, even though there's PLENTY of room for the definition that follows it. I can't figure out why. When I hover over the page break icon, I get the message "avoided page break." I don't know what the cause of this is.

I have not set any page break properties for the <dd> tags, so they shouldn't be causing the problem.

Any ideas on this?
Thanks,
Bonnie
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: page breaks before dt items

Post by bonnie »

I discovered that the <dl> tag was set to page_break_before=avoid and page_break_after=avoid. And this was apparently causing confusion with where to break the pages. (I don't ever remember setting the <dl> tag like that, so I'm not sure if these are the default settings or not.)

I was able to reset the page_break_before, but when I try to reset the page_break_after, I cannot do it. It insists on remaining page_break_after=avoid, for some reason. I'm not sure where that comes from. Can anyone tell me that?

Anyway, the change I made as described here seems to have cleared up the problem of unwanted page breaks.
Bonnie