Missing bullets and step numbers from Word manual

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jathomas
Jr. Propeller Head

Missing bullets and step numbers from Word manual

Post by jathomas »

When I build a Word manual from a Flare project that was imported from RoboHelp, about midway thru this 600+ page manual, all bullets and step numbers disappear. Also, in Word, I'm unable to add the bullets or step numbers back in. It just won't let me! (I've successfully built 10 other manuals from this project with no problems.)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Missing bullets and step numbers from Word manual

Post by SteveS »

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

My first thought is the problem is with Word. Bullets/ numbering are a disaster (and 1 I work with every day). Word can get a lot flakier when you excedd 100 pages, so 600 is probably going to be problematic.

Have you tried removing part of the manual from the build (don't remove the topics with the broken numbering) and seeing if that helps? If it does you know you have a Word problem, if not you will know which topics to look closer at.

You might consider outputting directly to PDF, or if you must go via Word, creating chapters that get combined later.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
jathomas
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Missing bullets and step numbers from Word manual

Post by jathomas »

I have removed topics (both with and without the broken numbering) from the build. Topics with broken numbering in one build, do not have it in another build if they are located before approximately pages 465 - 485 or so. (Once the broken numbering occurs, it stays broken for the rest of the manual.) I've even recreated a few topics from scratch to see if it helped, and it didn't if the topic was located past that page location. I agree with you that all this seems to point to an issue with Word.