SOLVED 2 line index entries won't wrap in PDF (Flare 4.2)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Joost
Propeller Head

SOLVED 2 line index entries won't wrap in PDF (Flare 4.2)

Post by Joost »

Hi,

Index entries that are too wide for the index column, do not wrap and run through the column borders. I am using page layouts and pdf output.

Anyone?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Joost
t wrap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Joost on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: 2 line index entries won't wrap in PDF (Flare 4.2)

Post by doc_guy »

Have you logged this as a bug?

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/sub ... lare&v=4.2

It looks like Flare isn't respecting your column seeing in the page layout. I don't know of an easy fix (besides being brief in your index entries).

If worst came to worst, you could use a single column for your index pages until you get this fixed.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't have Flare open at the moment, but I think I solved the same thing by turning on the word-wrap feature. You need to open the stylesheet, go to the index tags (under the <p> tag) and set the property. I can't remember if the property is called word-wrap and I can't remember what category it's in, but if you set the Stylesheet Editor to Advanced view and "Show:Property Groups" then expand the categories, you'll see it.

It won't totally solve all problems in the index (there are some others that are annoying), but it'll take care of that one.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Joost
Propeller Head

Post by Joost »

LTinker68 wrote:I don't have Flare open at the moment, but I think I solved the same thing by turning on the word-wrap feature. You need to open the stylesheet, go to the index tags (under the <p> tag) and set the property. I can't remember if the property is called word-wrap and I can't remember what category it's in, but if you set the Stylesheet Editor to Advanced view and "Show:Property Groups" then expand the categories, you'll see it. It won't totally solve all problems in the index (there are some others that are annoying), but it'll take care of that one.
It is the white-space attribute that does the trick. It was set to 'no wrap' apparently. I set it to 'normal' (dunno what this means actually). I wouldn't have found it by myself because the name of the attribute is absolutely not intuitive.

BTW: Is there a place where all these feature are described in detail?

Thanks,

Joost
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Joost wrote:BTW: Is there a place where all these feature are described in detail?
If by features you mean CSS, I usually do a search at w3.org. But I also leave my Stylesheet Editor set to advanced view, show all styles, and show:property groups. I've gotten a lot of ideas by looking at the various properties and seeing what the possible values are and then researching what the property is supposed to do. That's how I found the white-space one. (Yeah, that's the name. I remembered "nowrap" wasn't the value you wanted, but couldn't remember the property name.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.