Wacky Word Footer issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Wacky Word Footer issue

Post by ChristyPatton »

I am using Flare 4.2 and Word '07. This may be a "Word doesn't play well" issue but I need confirmation.

I have a printed document that consistes of a TOC, a welcome section, and 20 chapters with assorted sub-chapters. The TOC and Welcome each have their own Master Page. The 20 chapters have a Master Page called Main. Within the Master Page is a footer with page numbers. We used a table to keep an image, the motto and the page numbers lined up.

Chapter one consists of pages 3 - 19. In the entire book, only pages 10 - 19 have an issue with tabs inside the page number cell moving. See Error1.jpg, Error2.jpg.

From pg 20 forward the page numbers work correct, even when we get to the 3 digit page numbers. See correct.jpg.

Code: Select all

<td style="text-align: left;vertical-align: middle;padding-top: 3px;"><MadCap:variable name="System.PageNumber" />
                        </td>
What do I need to alter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Wacky Word Footer issue

Post by ChristyPatton »

To be more specific, it is an indent and hanging indent tabs plus the column indicater that are causing the problems. What I don't know is why my code is causing this on one chapter but no where else.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

I copied the master pages into a testing project. The exact same issue occurs. Do I need to delete the footers and start again?
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

A thought.

Are you using different masterpages for your chapters?

I notice the issue with 2 digit page numbers is occuring only in one chapter (the first). The screenshot sugests that you have your footer laid out as a table (most people use tables to control footers, so there's nothing wrong with that).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

Yes, the master page for the chapters is different from the master page for the welcome and TOC. There is only one master page for all the chapters.

In continueing yesterday, I created a TD classes for that particular footer table. It solved the problem on the even number pages but the odd is still giving me fits. I have one more thing to look at this morning. (I thought of it as I walked through the parking lot last evening) I have to mention that this problem has not plagued us throughout the entirety of the project. It just started within the last month. I do not know what I changed....
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

It absolutely has to be a Word issue. I have copied good fields in and it still has the problem. it is still on the even pages only and only in the first chapter. If I click the cell of the table column in the ruler it straightens out to the correct 100px. It has to be a problem with Word.

I'm done unless someone has a work around. I'll just have to have an additional post process step.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Just to be thorough, you mentioned that you created a class of TD to address the issue: did you apply that class to the cells on each of the Master Pages? (I.e. on the left page, right page, and front page?) Each page has its own unique header and footer, which allows it to format your output differently depending on which page type it is; this also means that changes on one page type don't automatically carry over to the other types.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

I applied the TD class to the page number cell in each of the footer proxies; odd, even, first. (although only one cell is errant, even) I have the 3 footer proxies on one master page.

I have only one errant master page. And it is only errant in Word for one chapter. It works correctly for following chapters.

Does that answer?
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Well, doesn't help me solve it but at least it confirms that something simple wasn't overlooked. You may be right, it could just be Word being Word....
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

A suggestion.

Use the standard Flare printed masterpage and see if that works. I remember when I was creating masterpages strange things would happen and going back to basics and starting again was the quickest way to recover.

I agree the screwiness is probably Word's interpretation of the Flare output, going back to basics will give you a 'known' basic.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

I think I will try this later today. I need to get a few other things accomplished first.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0