Two styles switching attributes in PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
re3ver
Propeller Head

Two styles switching attributes in PDF output

Post by re3ver »

Hi, everyone.

I'm very new to Flare. I imported Frame files, and I'm creating two outputs: HTML help and PDF. With the help of advice from the Forum, I've worked through a lot of problems, but this one has me stumped:

Two of my heading styles are switching attributes. I use H1, H2, and H3 level styles. They all behave perfectly in HTML output and in both previews. However, in the PDF output, the H2 and H3 level styles are "trading places," in that their sizes and positioning are reversed. The H2-level style should be 14 point, no left margin setting. The H3-level style should be 11 point, with a 2" margin-left setting. However, they switch sizes and margin settings.

I've been staring at the style sheet, trying to figure out if one of the (to me) obscure settings could be causing this; but I'm at a loss. Nothing I do seems to impress these rogue styles.

I've read so many posts and I've tried to glean something from the help file and manuals; but I think I've reached sensory overload! I seem to recall someone saying that Flare doesn't like it when we use styles names other than "H1," "H2," and so on. My styles are named h2. Heading 2 and h3.Heading 3. Could this be annoying Flare? Or is there some other obvious thing I've overlooked?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Two styles switching attributes in PDF output

Post by LTinker68 »

Online outputs use the styles defined in the "default" medium of the stylesheet (or the "non-print" medium, but honestly, I see no reason to use that medium). Print outputs use the styles defined in the "print" medium, and if there's nothing there, then they'll look at the "default" medium. So set the Stylesheet Editor to the print medium and check the properties you have set for those heading tags and classes.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
re3ver
Propeller Head

Post by re3ver »

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the input.

I did set up different style attributes for each medium, Print and Non-Print (per the Flare training that I received). Is there any reason that this could cause a problem?

Is there any other style attribute that could be affecting this? It seems very strange that only two styles are affected.

Thanks again.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I wouldn't use non-print -- I'd use default for everything and then specify in the print medium only those styles that are different from the online output.

And it's not the fact that you set up two mediums -- it's the fact that you may have thought you were in one medium when in fact you were in the other medium and you changed the styles in the wrong place. There was a bug in an earlier version of Flare where the Stylesheet Editor kept switching back to print medium instead of staying in whatever medium you were last in. So you may have thought you were setting the style for h2 in the non-print medium, for example, when you were in fact defining it in the print medium, or vice versa.

Also, check to see if you had created any complex selectors that may be overriding the appearance of the header tags.

If you're familiar with CSS, then you can open the stylesheet file in the Internal Text Editor and look at the stylesheet code to see if there is a conflict or if you defined a style in the wrong medium.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SDilg
Propeller Head

Post by SDilg »

Re3ver,

When I go to create a new style class, it will not permit spaces to be entered as part of the class name. I am wondering if the spaces in your style names are causing the issue you're experiencing?

-SDilg.
re3ver
Propeller Head

Post by re3ver »

Hi SDilg,

Thanks for your comment. Either I was in an addled state when I typed my first post, or the italics make it look like there are spaces. Whatever the case, there are no spaces in the styles.

I've been checking and double-checking everything (including Lisa's suggestions). It's got to be something obvious, but it sure is escaping me.
SDilg
Propeller Head

Post by SDilg »

Oh, OK!

That was the only thing I could think of. Good luck, I hope you can find some help with this!