Snippet as Table row?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
richt
Propeller Head

Snippet as Table row?

Post by richt »

I've got a master table of over 65 rows in one topic, and then single rows or small batches get re-used in other topics across the project. I'm trying to break this table up into a snippet per row, but I can't get anything working. Flare either shows "SnippetName: missing or bad snippet", or simply "(missing or bad snippet)", depending on what I do.

What I've tried so far:
  • Creating a snippet with a single table row of 5 columns. Using the Text Editor I've remove all tr, table, tbody, thead, table and even body/html tags (ie I've tried all combinations with and without these tags in a snippet)
  • inserting plain td or the complete tr into an existing table in a topic
  • using both Text and Block to call up the snippet
All I get in the XML Editor is the snippet block sitting either outside the table section, or somehow embedded under the rows (so that the "missing snippet" error appears underneath the other, static table rows).

So, has anybody managed to get this to work? I'm using Flare 2018 and tearing my hair out over this.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Snippet as Table row?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

As far as I understand it, you can't have a table row as a snippet. What you could try instead is snippetise the content of each cell. I know that makes more work but it's the only way you'll be able to do it. Either that, or have separate tables that you can then include in a snippet.

I think it's to do with the limitations of how tables are put together, in that the number of columns and so on is at the top of the bit of code that talks about the table, so you wouldn't want to be able to have a 2-column table and then try to stick in a 3-column row.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
shloter
Propeller Head

Re: Snippet as Table row?

Post by shloter »

i know this is dated question but here is how we do it and it is working well for us. Maybe it will help you or others

Put the entire table in a snippet then use snippet conditions to apply to each row(s) that you want to appear separately throughout your output. We then insert the snippet table on each page and pick which snippet condition should be visible for that page. We have approximately 100 different snippet condition rows in one table using this approach.

Hope that helps

Stephanie