Automatically updating variables?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Automatically updating variables?

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi all
We include the month of publishing in the front of our documentation, e.g. "The information herein describes the application and its features as of November 2009.", and I have to remember to check and update this sentence every time I compile an output. You can't imagine how many times I have run a final check on a "finished" output and, cursing, have had to go back and update the text and recompile... So, is it possible to create a "month" variable that updates itself automatically to the current month?
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Automatically updating variables?

Post by NorthEast »

Have you already seen the date variables in Flare?
If you select Insert > Variable, then select System; the date variable LongDate would give you '10 November 2009'.

There aren't variables for just month and year though, and you can't define your own.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi Dave
No, I hadn't noticed that date variable, I was concentrating on just the month. However it looks good, I'll try it and see if anyone notices the additional date. :D
Thanks for the tip.
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi again
I've tried the LongDate variable. In the topic file the variable reads [LongDate: 10. November 2009], but in the compiled output it reads "...Tuesday, November 10, 2009." I can live with the date in addition to the month, and I'm not that bothered about the order they appear in, but I really don't need the day as well. Is it possible to get rid of this?
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Hmm... my output just says '10 November 2009'.
Sorry, I've no idea why it's doing that for you.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Actually, for Word output (only) it includes the 'Tuesday... ' ; that's because it is inserting the date as a Word field, as opposed to plain text in the other outputs.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

NigelBennett wrote:... but I really don't need the day as well. Is it possible to get rid of this?
The Short and Long date formats are taken from your Windows settings (Control Panel > Regional Settings). If you remove the day from there you might get better results, but this is Windows wide - not just for Flare.

Looks like time (again) for a Date Formatting feature request:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Edit - meant to add ...
There is also a bug in the Word output - for short dates it ignores the Windows date and formats as "M/dd/yyyy" always (really annoying in Aus where we have dates the other way around). This is OK in PDF though. This bug has been raised with development. I understand there are also problems under Vista.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

wclass wrote:The Short and Long date formats are taken from your Windows settings (Control Panel > Regional Settings). If you remove the day from there you might get better results, but this is Windows wide - not just for Flare.
Yep, this will fix the problem; note that you need to close and re-open Flare for it to notice the change in regional settings. (Just re-building the project isn't enough.)

Saying that, for me the format does looks the same in the editor and output.

This was a bit confusing when I tested it. The long date format in English (UK) doesn't include the day (and you can't add it either, in XP); but it does include the day in English (US).