How do I edit a whole index?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
cjasper
Jr. Propeller Head

How do I edit a whole index?

Post by cjasper »

I have a huge project with about 25 targets (some for the same docs in various output formats). I finally got a chance to update the index markers in the entire project. It took me about a week, and by the time I finished, I suspect I was using different tenses and verb forms for the same things. So I suspect that, for example, I've listed all of these in different places:

users:adding
user:adding
add:users
adding:users

You get the picture. I'd like to see the entire index and make all of the terms consistent throughout the entire project (so that the indexes in all outputs have parallel structure, e.g., all gerunds) without having to go back to every single topic to make the changes. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

cj
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How do I edit a whole index?

Post by mattbnh »

Take a look at View>Index Explorer, if you haven't.

It lists every index entry in the project in a tree view that you can click to see which files each index entry is in.

You can see it all, and check parallelism, spelling, duplicates, etc.

But you can't edit it in place - you have to open the topic file to make changes. The Index explorer updates when you save any changes in a topic.

Not everything you wanted, but at least you can easily find what needs to change in which files though.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I edit a whole index?

Post by NorthEast »

I might be telling you something you already know here, but if there are a lot of these entries, then using a find and replace may be less painful.
E.g. search the 'whole project' with 'Find in source code' ticked, to find user:adding and replace with users:adding.