How to copy a .pdf document into a Topic

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Purple Helen
Propeller Head

How to copy a .pdf document into a Topic

Post by Purple Helen »

I am trying to paste an 8 page .pdf document into a Topic.

When I use "Edit - copy to clipboard" - instead of copying the whole file, as I expected, it only copies the visible page - so I have to create 8 images and paste 8 times.

Surely there must be a way to paste the whole thing in as a single image?

I hope so, as I have a 16 page doc to do too!

Snapshot tool in pdf doesn't work either, as it only selects a page at a time.

I am very green at all this so there is probably a very simple solution - help please!

Many thanks, Helen
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to copy a .pdf document into a Topic

Post by lacastle »

This would be an Adobe issue, not a Flare issue. However, i think the way you are doing it (each page) is the only way. Do you have access to the PDF source document (word?)? if so, you would be able to import that into Flare.
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... uments.htm
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Not sure about pasting a page into a topic as an image. But if you need to only select the text for the entire file, you first need to change the page display. In the PDF, click View > Page Display > Two Page View. Then click Edit > Copy File to Clipboard. It will copy all text content from the file.
Kellie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I do something similar with some two-page forms where I saved each page of the PDF as a PNG and inserted both PNG files into a topic. I did it this way so the page numbering in the whole document would count each of those pages. I've never figured out a way to have a multi-page PDF pulled in as content for print output as opposed to having it as a hyperlink that's opened separately.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You could use OpenOffice and the PDF Import extension, see here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... ntcmp=1549
That way you can import the PDF and then do whatever you want with the content. I haven't tried it yet.
Purple Helen
Propeller Head

Post by Purple Helen »

For the benefit of any other "learners" - I found the answer to this myself eventually - you just copy the .pdf file into the Contents folder of your project, in the appropriate place, within Windows Explorer. Then in Flare it will appear as a file in your project Contents Explorer. You can "add" the .pdf file in Source Control and it becomes a Topic within your Project. "Simples" as the meerkat would say!