Invalid XML report

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Yuri
Jr. Propeller Head

Invalid XML report

Post by Yuri »

Hello!
Can someone please explain me how I can generate a report of all files where I have invalid XML?

Here is what happens. I'm not a help author, I receive help after some work on it has been done, now I need to compile it.
I open a file and a message pops up: "This file file_name has invalid XML. Line this and that, location this and that. Do you want to open it as text?"
I open it as text, fix the problem and then Flare is happy.
What I'm not happy about is that the only way for me to find a file with invalid XML is to click on every single file in the project. Is there a way to generate a report of all files that have that problem?

I use Flare 6.

Thanks!
Yuri
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Invalid XML report

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Yuri,

Welcome to the forums.

It's been a LONG time since I've used Flare 6, so my advice might not apply.

Try creating a report. I'm pretty sure that in Flare 6 you can right-click the Reports folder (in Project Organizer) and choose Add Report File. In the Report Editor, look for and select the option for "Non-XML Topics" and then generate the report. (I think that option has been in Flare for quite a while, though I could be wrong. I can't say anymore exactly where you'll find it in the Report Editor because the Report Editor got an overhaul in Flare 7, if my memory serves.)

I hope this help.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sfoley
Propeller Head

Post by sfoley »

Nita Beck wrote:Try creating a report. I'm pretty sure that in Flare 6 you can right-click the Reports folder (in Project Organizer) and choose Add Report File. In the Report Editor, look for and select the option for "Non-XML Topics" and then generate the report. (I think that option has been in Flare for quite a while, though I could be wrong. I can't say anymore exactly where you'll find it in the Report Editor because the Report Editor got an overhaul in Flare 7, if my memory serves.)
As Nita describes, here's the procedure to create a report, straight from MadCap's Flare 6 help system.
Yuri
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Yuri »

Thank you all so much! It worked exactly as I wanted.