2 Questions about Variables and formatting them

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Shellslark
Jr. Propeller Head

2 Questions about Variables and formatting them

Post by Shellslark »

I'm a Flare newbie that's working on a long-standing doc set that was imported from FrameMaker. This is my first Flare project and I'm working as a free-lancer.

I have two questions about variables:

1) How do I apply different styles to the variable text so that it matches the text on the rest of the line? Several variables are so common that they need to be formatted to match the body text, the heading text, menu item text, etc. Is there a trick to fixing this quickly or do I need to define different variable styles for the different style situations and manually re-insert the corrected variable format in each instance?

2) I have 2 variables that are so ubiquitous that I'd like to convert them back to plain text. The terminology is unlikely to change in the future. Is there a way to find and replace those variables automatically?

Thanks for your expertise!
sfoley
Propeller Head

Re: 2 Questions about Variables and formatting them

Post by sfoley »

Shellslark wrote:1) How do I apply different styles to the variable text so that it matches the text on the rest of the line? Several variables are so common that they need to be formatted to match the body text, the heading text, menu item text, etc. Is there a trick to fixing this quickly or do I need to define different variable styles for the different style situations and manually re-insert the corrected variable format in each instance?
Variables automatically inherit the styles of their parent element. If you add a variable to a heading or paragraph, it will look like the surrounding text. If your project doesn't look that way--you imported your content, perhaps?--you may need to examine the code in your topics to make sure that extra formatting was not applied to the variable.
Shellslark wrote:2) I have 2 variables that are so ubiquitous that I'd like to convert them back to plain text. The terminology is unlikely to change in the future. Is there a way to find and replace those variables automatically?
There's no tool made specifically for that purpose, but the standard Find-And-Replace works just fine.
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... eature.htm
KLAstry
Propeller Head

Post by KLAstry »

How do I format a variable? For example, my content is: In the (variable)Blah(/variable) tab, click Bleh. I want Blah to always be bold.
sfoley
Propeller Head

Post by sfoley »

KLAstry wrote:How do I format a variable? For example, my content is: In the (variable)Blah(/variable) tab, click Bleh. I want Blah to always be bold.
You need to wrap it in <b> or <span> elements, like any other piece of text. You can also add both the variable and its formatting to a snippet, and use the snippet instead.
ebill
Jr. Propeller Head

Italics in a Variable

Post by ebill »

I have variable names that I would like to be italicized when the variable is inserted. I have been unable to find a way to do that. Problem is that in the TOC the variable names are not Italicized, however, I can apply the attribute in the text. Opened the variables file in a text editor and tried some xml statements but these only appear in the variable name. Is there any way to apply a bold or italic in the variable editor?

Edward
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you always want the variable italicized, then put the variable in a snippet and wrap the variable in a span class that italicizes the text. Instead of inserting the variable in your topics, insert the snippet.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.