how to simply repeat formatting of images

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
gabsam
Propeller Head

how to simply repeat formatting of images

Post by gabsam »

I am having to place a large number of images in my topics and give them all the same color, 1 point border and centered; is there a way to simplify this, so I don’t have to format each one individually? Can I copy attributes from one image to another?
I’m hoping there is an easier way to do this – does anyone have an answer?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: how to simply repeat formatting of images

Post by LTinker68 »

I do this with a paragraph class and a complex selector. So in my stylesheet, I have...

Code: Select all

p.screenshot {
   text-align:center;
}

p.screenshot img {
   border:1px solid #000000;
}
The first style sets the contents of the paragraph (in this case, the image) to be centered. The second style is a complex selector that says when an image is inside a <p class="screenshot"> block that the image should have a 1px solid black border. So in the topic, all I do is add a new paragraph, set its class to "screenshot", and insert an image, and everything else is taken care of. If down the road someone says they want a different color border for all screenshots or want no border, then you just change the appropriate style in the stylesheet and the change will filter down to all topics.

I also have a p.captionFig style that I use after the screenshot and it has an auto-number format that adds "Figure n" before the caption in print outputs, where n is an auto-generated number. That auto-number format is applied to the style in the print medium; in online outputs, the style in the default medium doesn't have the auto-number format, as I don't want captions numbered in my online outputs. Following the same principle, if you want to have screenshots sized to a smaller size in print outputs to save space, then you could add a max-width or max-height attribute to the p.screenshot img complex selector in the print medium. For instance, I have a max-width of 5 inches for print output so my screenshots aren't too big.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
gabsam
Propeller Head

Re: how to simply repeat formatting of images

Post by gabsam »

Thanks, Lisa. That is much quicker!