Content Explorer - navigation

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
suganthavardhini
Propeller Head

Content Explorer - navigation

Post by suganthavardhini »

Hi,

Please let me know how to keep the content panel open in HTML 5 when the link is used in a new window.

Scenario

When clients request for a particular section in the user guide, I provide them the URL to that section. The link takes to the user guide with the left navigational section, 'Content window' collapsed. This leaves the user with no clue where he has to navigate next or simply where he is.

Initially I thought that's the behavior of Flare. But when I checked Madcap Flare User Guide, it is working fine. The URL from flare user guide when used in a different browser window actually has the same topic highlighted in the left navigation window(contents panel). This will actually help the user to move on by knowing the right navigation path.

I am using Flare 7. Please help. Am desperately looking for a solution.

Thanks
Suganthi M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Content Explorer - navigation

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Suganthi,

I think I can help. But first, I want to make sure that we're using the right terms.

Your headline mentions "Content Explorer," which is a pane within the Flare user interface, not a pane in a generated Help system. You aren't having problems with the Content Explorer.

You also mention that when the user requests to see a topic in the Help system, the content pane is collapsed. But in your screenshot, the content pane is open. Rather, the TOC book -- within which the displayed topic appears -- is closed so that the user doesn't know where the displayed topic is within the organization of the Help system.

What I think you are after is to synchronize the TOC with the topic that is displayed. This is easy to fix.

(But let me digress just a moment. You mention that you're using Flare 7, yet your description and your screenshot indicate that you're creating HTML5 Help. That target type was introduced in Flare 8. I'm going to assume that you're using Flare 8 or 9.)

Open the HTML5 skin file. On the Skin Editor's General tab, select the "Automatically Synchronize TOC" check box. That should do it!

If I have misunderstood your problem, please post back and I'll try again.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dcarson
Propeller Head

Re: Content Explorer - navigation

Post by dcarson »

RE: your comment "the TOC book -- within which the displayed topic appears -- is closed so that the user doesn't know where the displayed topic is within the organization of the Help system."

I would like the TOC book to be open when the Help system first starts, as it doesn't seem intuitive to me to have to click the book icon to open the book. I have 3 books, and I'd like for each of them to open so that the Book, and then the heading level directly below the book are displayed when the user first brings up the help. This is to tie in with the UI I am documenting. Any suggestions?