Inserting a Paragraph into a DIV

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
ecjoe
Propeller Head

Inserting a Paragraph into a DIV

Post by ecjoe »

Goal:
Quickly insert a DIV into which I can type or paste other paragraphs.

Current Situation:
I use CTRL+SHIFT+H to apply a custom DIV style to a line. I want this DIV to contain multiple lines with custom formatting. To this end, I've created several paragraph styles. However, I can't leverage these paragraph styles until I add at least one paragraph to the DIV through the use of the text editor. Is there a quicker way?

Additional Information:
I'm aware of the following solutions:
  • Insert --> Text Box option
  • Snippet to text conversion with Autocomplete
Both of the above solutions take just about as much time as making the change from the text editor.

Joe
Joe
(Flare 2017 r2 - Windows 7 64)
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Inserting a Paragraph into a DIV

Post by Nita Beck »

Joe, you might find it easier first to add those paragraphs and style them as you like. Then select them all and use the Group command (can't remember which ribbon; sorry) to wrap them in a div. You can even just create the first paragraph, put it in the div, then continue adding more paragraphs with it.

Hope this helps. (Sorry so brief; am on the way out the door!)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ecjoe
Propeller Head

Post by ecjoe »

Hi Nita,

After reading your post, I found the Group command on the Home ribbon. More importantly, I recalled that there is a shortcut key for that dialog box. Simply tab when you have multiple lines selected. You've helped me out once again. Thanks!

Joe
Joe
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You're welcome. Yeah, I forgot about the Tab method. That said, the Tab method sometimes gives unexpected results. For example, if you're anywhere near or in a list, selecting several items and then pressing Tab will simply create a nested list or other list items, instead of wrapping those selected items in a div.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ecjoe
Propeller Head

Post by ecjoe »

Yes!!! Thank you for another great tip. I've been using ALT+H+AI/AO for controlling list indentations.

P.S. I'm new to Flare.

Joe
Joe
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

We were all Flare newbies when starting out! Welcome to the family. We're here to help you. :)
Nita
ecjoe
Propeller Head

Post by ecjoe »

Hi Nita,

Much appreciated. I now realize why I thought that tabs were dedicated for grouping items. If you tab from a paragraph, you will always get the Create Group dialog box.

Is there an easy way to create a list from a paragraph? I currently use ALT+H+U+[U/S/C/N/LA/LR].

Joe
Joe
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

(Caveat: I tend to be a "mouser" rather than a "keyboardist".)

If you mean to change a <p> block into an ordered or unordered list, select that <p> block and then, on the Home ribbon, look for the button that looks like a bullet list. If you want a bullet list, just click that button. If you want a different kind of list (e.g., numbered list), open the drop-down associated with that button and select the desired style of list.

You can select several <p> block at once and turn them into a list. You don't have to click that button for each <p> block individually.
Nita
ecjoe
Propeller Head

Post by ecjoe »

Hi Nita,

Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to create a list. However, I prefer to use the keyboard. I guess that I will stick to the shortcut keys that I mentioned in my previous post. I've also submitted a feature request to MadCap.

Joe
Joe