Delete conditional text

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
RuthR
Jr. Propeller Head

Delete conditional text

Post by RuthR »

Hello,

I have a problem with deleting conditional text.

We use the condition "nextRelease" to mark all the things of a next release which are excluded from the output for the current release.
After generating the final output, we have to delete all the conditional text (but not the content which is conditioned).

The Find and Replace function is not sufficient because
- sometimes there are more than one condition (MadCap:conditions="....mo_info_release.nextRelease....")
- and sometimes there are also closing tags (MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="mo_info_release.nextRelease"> ....</MadCap:conditionalText>

So is there a way to find all the conditions and delete them?

Best regards
Ruth
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Delete conditional text

Post by SteveS »

Not an answer but...

Have you thought of using a different conditional tag for each release? Not only would it overcome your problem but it would give you a form of version control where you can see each release.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think what RuthR wants to do is unbind condition tags globally from content, instead of finding all the content assigned to that condition and unbinding manually in each topic, folder, TOC entry, etc.

RuthR, make a backup of your project, just in case, then try deleting the condition tag from the condition tag set (i.e., delete it at the project level). It used to be that Flare would leave an empty condition tag in the content and that caused problems, but I think they fixed that. If deleting a condition tag from the condition tag set works to unbind the condition from the content, then Steve's suggestion of a condition tag for each revision will work -- you create a new condition tag for the next release, apply that condition to the content applicable to the next release and have that condition tag excluded from the output. When you're read to release the help for the next release, you would delete the condition tag from the project, which would remove that condition from all the content. (Assuming the process works, of course, which is why you want to make a backup of the project first, just in case it doesn't work.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RuthR
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by RuthR »

Hi,
thank you very much for your suggestions.

I tried the deletion at project level. The deletion of the Tag in the Condition Tag Set did not delete the condition in the source code but in combination with MadCap Analyzer it works perfect!

The Analyzer detects the 'Undefined Condition Tags' and selecting the 'Delete' button in the Anaylzer, performs the unbind.

Thanks a lot. :)
Ruth