Crossreference an autonumbered table caption inside snippet?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Rene Severens
Sr. Propeller Head

Crossreference an autonumbered table caption inside snippet?

Post by Rene Severens »

Hi,
(Using Mad Cap Flare 9.1.2)
What are the steps to have a cross reference inside Topic A go to a table that is inside Topic B whereby inside Topic B the table is inside a snippet. The snippet contains the table with table caption that contains a global autonumbering for tables (like "GT:Table {n+}: ")?
When added a bookmark to the table caption to create the xref to, it is possible to select the topic that contains the snippet, and even the bookmark, but the defined xref format is not used. The expected result ".... see Table 3: captiontext" is not shown; instead is returned " ... 0.0.1".
The used xref format is {paramnumonly}.
==> Note: when doing the same steps using this table (inside a snippet or not) inside the SAME topic, the result is OK.

What is going wrong or what am I missing here?

Greetings,
Rene Severens
"The numbers are strange today; they somehow do not seem to add up."
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Crossreference an autonumbered table caption inside snippet?

Post by Msquared »

If I've understood correctly what you are trying to do, I have a question.

If the snippet is placed in several topics, so you have several tables, and several table captions, each with a different number, which of the table captions would you like to cross reference? I expect Flare doesn't know, and that's why it won't give you a definitive number.

MadCap recommend that you don't cross reference to a location in a snippet for this very reason, although i wasn't aware that it actually conspired against you.

You could decide which instance of the table you would like to cross-reference, then cross reference to a point in the containing topic, perhaps?
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

...or have the snippet file end with the </table> tag, then in the topic into which the snippet is inserted, you insert the table caption using a paragraph with mc-auto-number-format. In other words, don't use the built-in caption option in the table properties (if that's what you were doing before). The downside is that you won't get the continuation option if the table expands multiple pages in print output, but the upside is that you can xref to the caption because it's separate from the snippet and have different captions for different topics.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Rene Severens
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Rene Severens »

Hi,

OK, I missed the warning in the help file about crossreferencing snippets.
As far as several experiments have shown, when the bookmark and the crossref are inside the same topic, when selecting the format for the crossref the correct result is shown.
When the bookmark is inside another topic, it is still OK, but when the bookmark is inside a snippet that is inside another topic, selecting the format shows a wrong result. Apparantly the format of the xref resolves to heading-tags when using a snippet inside a topic.
As for the table, the chance that it will expand mulitple pages is high, and breaking the continuation cannot be allowed to happen.
For now I continue with reverting the snippeted table to text so it is not inside a snippet anymore. That will do.

Thanks,
Rene Severens
"The numbers are strange today; they somehow do not seem to add up."