Alphanumeric Numbering Across Sections

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
emilymac07
Jr. Propeller Head

Alphanumeric Numbering Across Sections

Post by emilymac07 »

My Appendix is set up as a Chapter. Within that chapter there are sections (each set up as its own document) that I would like to number in their headers alphanumerically.
I want it to read:
Appendix A
Appendix B
Appendix C
If I was setting this up using numbers I would choose {Cn+} under MC Auto Number Format in my style guide. Since I want it to be alphanumeric, I think that it should be {CA+} but this command does not work. If I leave it as {A+} each section in my appendix is headed as an Appendix A.
and so on because the "numbering" is restarting each section. I want each new section to increment from the previous section using alphanumeric values. Suggestions? :!: :!: :!:
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Alphanumeric Numbering Across Sections

Post by Lydia »

Welcome to the forums!

Do you have C: in there? The prefix should be seperated by a colon. Maybe it was just a typo in this post. If not, please try if this changes the behavior.
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Lydia »

additional info: I *think* you need to have a series label in there, i.e. the C on it's own is not enough, use CA: or some other letter instead of the A.
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

This is how I do chapter, sections within chapters, appendices and sections within appendices.

Chapter - mc-auto-number-format: 'Chapter {chapnum} ';

Section within chapter - mc-auto-number-format: '{chapnum}.{Cn+} '; then mc-auto-number-format: '{chapnum}.{Cn}.{Cn+} '; etc

Appendix - mc-auto-number-format: 'Appendix {chapnum} '; and on the TOC entry for the first appendix, add a chapter break, reset the auto-number to A, format Alpha. This comes out

Sections within appendices are the same as the ordinary headings.

I can't remember why I used {chapnum} originally rather than C. I seem to remember there was some reason why it gave better results for me.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

As an alternative method, I don't use the chapnum variable. I use formatting like the following:

h1 { mc-auto-number-format:'GH:{n+}'; }
h2 { mc-auto-number-format:'GH:{n}.{n+}' }
h3 { mc-auto-number-format:'GH:{n}.{n}.{n+}' }

h1.Appendix { mc-auto-number-format:'GA:{A+}' }
h2.Appendix { mc-auto-number-format:'GA:{A}.{n+}' }

Both sets of headings use a global counter (G). The global keeps the chapter numbers incrementing throughout the entire document, so it's not tied to which TOC entry I specify as being the start of a new chapter; it's based strictly on when the h1 tag is used in the content. That said, I do generally tend to set a chapter break when I use an h1 tag, but that's so that I can specify the correct page in a page layout, not because I need to set the chapter number.

The regular headings use a sequence ID of "H" and appendices use a sequence ID of "A". That's what keeps their individual counters incremented correctly.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.