Looking for suggestions...

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
jkpalmer
Propeller Head

Looking for suggestions...

Post by jkpalmer »

Hi,

Looking for some implementation suggestions for a requirement that I have to implement.

I have several groups of individuals who support different facets of our business. Each group has a small list of individuals that contain person name, phone number, and specialty area. On occasion, individuals change phone numbers, move to a different group, get assigned to a different specialty area, or leave the company. When that changes, the content needs to be republished.

I have a large number of topics, but each topic will only refer to one group for support.

I was thinking of implementing each group as a snippet and within the snippet would be the list of individuals for that group.

I would then associate the appropriate snippet to a topic.

How would an experienced Flare developer implement this?

Jim P.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Looking for suggestions...

Post by NorthEast »

If the group list is used in multiple topics, then yes it would make sense to include it in a snippet; e.g. create multiple snippets, one for each group of individuals.
jkpalmer
Propeller Head

Post by jkpalmer »

Would you create a variable for each individual and place it in the snippet, in case the individual may be identified in multiple support groups?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Your idea of using a variable for each name would work just fine. That's a good solution. Or you could create "name" snippets to hold each name and then place those where needed. In any case, you are thinking along the right lines, trying to anticipate both what might change and what might need to appear in multiple places. And if you do this with snippets exclusively and end up with name snippets within lists of names snippets, that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. I guess I lean to the name snippet solution because I anticipate that I might end up with more than just a name; I might want to include a person's email address, too, and have the email address be a mail:to link, which I couldn't achieve using variables.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

The benefit of the variable option, though, is that you can change the name in the output, so if you do multiple languages and different people support for different countries, then you can supply a different name in the variable in the target for each language. So Network Support for the U.S. might be Tom Jones but Network Support for the U.K. might be David Cameron (heh). So your variable could be Network Support and you provide a different name in each target's variable set. Likewise with phone numbers and email addresses.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.