Creating new topics related to existing topics

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Creating new topics related to existing topics

Post by chrispitude »

Hi all,

Let's say I have a Content folder with some topics. Those topics are also together in the TOC. Now I want to add a new topic, at that place in the TOC, and into that folder in the Content directory.

Is there a way to do this? Because...
  • If I right-click a folder in the Content Explorer and choose New > Topic, it creates the topic file in that folder, but does not create a TOC entry.
  • If I select an existing TOC topic and press Ctrl-T for a new topic, it's placed in the Content root, and still no TOC entry is created.
  • If I right-click an existing TOC topic and choose Add New Topic from the context menu, it creates a topic and does add it to the TOC there, but the file is still created at the Content root.
These behaviors are close in their various ways, but none hit the mark (add TOC entry to same place, add file to same folder). Before I file an enhancement request, am I unaware of the magic recipe for doing this?

Thanks!
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Creating new topics related to existing topics

Post by devans »

When you right click in the TOC and select Add New Topic, you get to choose what folder the new file goes into. If you don't select a folder, it goes into the root directory.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

devans wrote:When you right click in the TOC and select Add New Topic, you get to choose what folder the new file goes into. If you don't select a folder, it goes into the root directory.
Yes, this is how I'm currently doing it (my third bullet, then choosing the directory in the dialog box). But instead of the root directory being the default, I'd like it to be the directory containing the item that was right-clicked in the TOC.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

That might work for your TOC and directory structure but you can't assume that's the norm. I don't think you can expect Flare to know where you want to put your new files. I think the best they could do is maybe default to the last folder you added a file to. That might be worth a feature request.
chrispitude
Propeller Head

Post by chrispitude »

devans wrote:That might work for your TOC and directory structure but you can't assume that's the norm. I don't think you can expect Flare to know where you want to put your new files. I think the best they could do is maybe default to the last folder you added a file to. That might be worth a feature request.
Of course. We can't assume anything is the norm. :) Your statement applies regardless of what the default is. You can just ask easily ask, how often is the root the desired location? (For the doc team in my company, unfortunately, never.)
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

Mine either, but at least I know where to look for a file if I forget to select a folder! :D