single-sourcing

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
twmarcb
Propeller Head

single-sourcing

Post by twmarcb »

I create Word documents that are coverted to PDF's for distribution. As a part of our single-sourcing effort, these documents are ported into a Help generation system that allows me to designate certain styles as dropdowns (and the text that follows is contained in the drop-down until it meets another drop-down style or the topic ends).

I would like to do something similar in Flare, is this possible?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Kind of

Post by NorthEast »

rather than produce word documents that are converted to help, you could write the content in Flare and output it to both help and Word (for PDF) formats.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I agree with Dave's suggestion. If you have Word 2007, then you can create a PDF directly from within Flare. If you have Word 2003, then you'll have to output from Flare as a Word file and then convert the Word file to a PDF. You can also generate WebHelp or HTML Help from the same source files.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
andyr
Jr. Propeller Head

Single Source XML-FO >PDF and HTMLHelp

Post by andyr »

I can confirm that this approach works.

Our preference was for more control so we have gone down the XML-FO route (not requiring Word at all) with Flare managing contents and order of topics.

From Flare we produce HTMLHelp. PDF Help manuals and Training manuals.

This takes some investment (and investigation) to setup, but the dividends are obvious within a few releases.
Andy R
twmarcb
Propeller Head

Post by twmarcb »

that would be a good solution if I was a lone writer, but I have several independent contractors that provide me with the finished guide in Word format and I don't have the luxury of re-writing their doc in Flare. I'm currently looking at automated scripts to allow me to single source the content the way I need it.
andyr
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by andyr »

Ah. Yes, sounds like more of a tricky scenario, work-flow wise.
Andy R
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Ok

Post by NorthEast »

If the raw content must be produced using Word, then it limits things a bit more.

Back to your initial question, I'm not aware that Flare can convert particular styles in a Word document to drop-downs, as your existing system can.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Single Source XML-FO >PDF and HTMLHelp

Post by forfear »

andyr wrote:
Our preference was for more control so we have gone down the XML-FO route (not requiring Word at all) with Flare managing contents and order of topics.

From Flare we produce ....
Just curious, what is this XML-FO route? Is Flare used as a tool to manage contents but not author them? is another tool used for 'XML-FO' ?
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder