Programmatic Publishing

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
MDonoghue
Jr. Propeller Head

Programmatic Publishing

Post by MDonoghue »

Hello All -

I'm new to Flare (matter of fact, I don't have my copy yet) and had a question:

Mike Hamilton gave a demo last month where he discussed the term "Programmatic Publishing" - it was a catch-all of techniques and such if I remember correctly. In his discussion however he made a lightbulb go off in my head regarding how you can set up Flare in a server environment so that users can become requestors for published product.

I'm looking for a publishing solution where I can have people (company associates) select the options they want (from an interface I guess) to create a final document for printing. It sounds like it is possible - but I'm curious if anything similar to this has been done by anyone.

Thanks!

-MD
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Programmatic Publishing

Post by doc_guy »

Hey, MD; welcome to the forums.

What kind out output are you looking for? Webhelp or printed output?

I know you can set up Flare to build a target from a command line execution, so I imagine that all you'd have to do is create all the permutations of projects as targets. Then based on the options that the user selects, your app would determine which target to build. Then once the build was complete, your users could either browse to the build folder, or you could have some sort of process that copies the file over to the user some how.

I do think it is possible, but you're going to need some help from some programmers (if you aren't one, like I'm not one).
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

I'd like to learn how to do this too for our own users too.
Its a an idea that's poped up in my head when he mentioned it as well. That would be lovely.

No one's covered this area well before yet ...it'd be cool though...takers?
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
MDonoghue
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MDonoghue »

Ideally, I'm looking for Print output - that helps out with the other issue which is trying to develop a way to use single-sourcing but put the publishing power in someone else's hands.

Thanks for reminding me that he was discussion command line executions. The quote that I just found from the bullet point was:

Programmatic Publishing
Build documentation programmatically from the command line or scheduled script.

Thanks - MD (aka Mike)