Index entry for topic appearing in more than one Chapter

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Index entry for topic appearing in more than one Chapter

Post by General Confusion »

Greetings.

Tech support has requested that a topic appear in three "chapters". In the generated output, I opened my index and double-clicked the entry. The topic opened in "Chapter C" (chronologically, the last of the three chapters; not sure how Flare determines which location to take them to, but when accessed from the index, I don't think it matters).

I noticed, however, that if i click the topic name from the TOC, in either Chapter A or Chapter B, the breadcrumb shows Chapter C. I'm not sure how closely the customer will be paying attention, but I'm afraid that might cause them some confusion. Am I doing something wrong?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Index entry for topic appearing in more than one Chapter

Post by KevinDAmery »

If you add the same topic more than once to the project, breadcrumbs and index entries will get confused. The best way around this is to create a Snippet that contains all of the text in the topic. You can then insert this snippet into three different topic files and add those files to the TOC in each of the required chapters. Flare will see it as three separate topics so the breadcrumbs and index will work correctly, but at the same time you will only have to maintain the content in one place (i.e. in the Snippet file).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
General Confusion
Propeller Head

Re: Index entry for topic appearing in more than one Chapter

Post by General Confusion »

Thank you Kevin. :)