Image Dependancy

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Adrian Durand
Propeller Head

Image Dependancy

Post by Adrian Durand »

Hi All,

I think that this may have been raised in another post, but I cannot seem to find it (so apologies if this has already been answered :) ).

I have a lot of images within my project, and have replaced quite a few as changes have been made to a lot of the screens.
I'm now trying to tidy up the Resources folder, and wondered if there was a way of easily viewing all images that are not currently used within the Project, instead of having to check each one individually.

Yours Hopefully

Adrian
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Image Dependancy

Post by RamonS »

You could generate WebHelp and check against the images that are in there, then do a comparison between the two directories....unless Flare puts the images into the output that aren't needed.
Adrian Durand
Propeller Head

Post by Adrian Durand »

Hi RamonS,

Thanks for that, and to answer the question, no Flare does not put all images into the output.

I have doe a check, and there are 387 images in the output images folder and 609 in the project images folder.

Oh well, a bit of tidying up to be done.... :?

Thanks again

Adrian
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

It would take forever, but you could right-click on the image name in the Content Explorer and select Show Dependencies. It would be quicker to delete the files through Windows Explorer (outside of Flare), but safer to work inside in case you accidentally try to delete an image you actually use.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Here's another idea:

1) Move the images folder to another location.
2) Do a build - this will produce a long list of errors about the missing images.
3) Tell Flare to save the error log.
4) Open the error log in a text editor. From this file, you can find all the images that are actually called in your output target.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Adrian Durand
Propeller Head

Post by Adrian Durand »

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I'm still deciding on the course of action to take.

I think I'll probable try the suggestion from RamonS, (after taking a full backup of course), as I should be able to filter the list quickly to only display the images not in the output folder, and then try deleting a few from within the content explorer, and if all these show with no dependancies, then I'll carry on deleting from Windows Explorer to speed the process.

It sounds like I need to submit an enhancement request (so I think I'll do that now :) ).

Thanks Again

Adrian
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Adrian Durand wrote:It sounds like I need to submit an enhancement request (so I think I'll do that now :) ).
This functionality already exists in Analyzer, which can report any unused files.
You could beg for it to be included in Flare.
Adrian Durand wrote:Thanks for that, and to answer the question, no Flare does not put all images into the output.
I'm a bit baffled why it doesn't include all the images in your output (whether they're linked or not), because Flare normally does.