Basic question about popup window size

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

Basic question about popup window size

Post by MC Hammer »

Hello everyone
I have read a few topics on customising the size of popup windows on this forum but was not able to find what I am after.
I have some popup windows (no images in them, only plain text or tables) called by a.Popup [when hyperlinking, I specified the target of popup window and a style class of Popup (which is a.Popup)].

I have read the Flare's Help and tried to set mc-popup-width and mc-popup-height to different values and had a look at the results. It works fine but I was wondering if there were settings that would allow the size of the popup window to be dependent on the contents of the window, in other terms so that I would never have scrollbars (vertical or horizontal).

According to what I read on this topic http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =12&t=5518 "Automatic" means that the popup window is auto-sized based on the content. So why do I still get some scrollbars on my popup windows?

Thanks in advance for any input.
PS: My output is HTML Help.
Marie-Claire
Flare 2019 r2 - Windows 10 Pro - HTML5 help / "clean" XHTML output
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Basic question about popup window size

Post by LTinker68 »

There are still rules governing the size of the popup window based on the size of the parent viewer (browser window or HTML Help window), so "auto" will give you scrollbars, if necessary, to make sure the popup window isn't larger than the parent window and keeps the position of the popup window in relation to the text you clicked on to open it.

As for the scrollbars appearing if you specify width and height in mc-popup-width and mc-popup-height... What browsers are you testing it on? I had to pad the height of the popup window so that it would show without scrollbars in both FF and IE. In FF the popup height could be a lot shorter without getting the scrollbars, but the same value would result in IE having scrollbars, so I had to keep adjusting the height and testing until I found a value that would result in IE not generating scrollbars. Unfortunately, in FF that results in some noticeable space between the end of the text and the bottom of the popup window, but I preferred that to the scrollbars.

So keep playing with the width and height values until you can get the majority of your popup windows to not have scrollbars. Of course, if you have too much text then there's nothing you can do because the popup window has to follow the rules I mentioned above.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MC Hammer »

Hi Lisa
Thank you for your post.
I mainly test on IE7. Given what you have explained, I think I am going to have 2 or 3 different classes for popup windows as I have as many very different sorts of content so I can optimise mc-popup-width and mc-popup-height for each.
Thanks again :wink:
Marie-Claire
Flare 2019 r2 - Windows 10 Pro - HTML5 help / "clean" XHTML output
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

MC Hammer wrote:I think I am going to have 2 or 3 different classes for popup windows as I have as many very different sorts of content ...
That's what I ended up doing, too.
MC Hammer wrote:Thanks again :wink:
No prob.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.