Adapting Heading Levels in Topic based on Topic level in TOC

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
iand
Sr. Propeller Head

Adapting Heading Levels in Topic based on Topic level in TOC

Post by iand »

Hi, I am fairly new to Flare. Is there any way to update the Heading Levels automatically if you move something to a lower level in the TOC. I am guessing not?

For example if I have a topic with H1 and H2 headings inside it. If move the topic down one level in the TOC. I would like all H1s in the topic to dynamically change to H2s and all H2s to change to H3s.

This would be very useful to make it easy to move content around as you can using the Outline Mode in Word. This would particularly help if it worked automatically with different TOCs. So the same topic could be used at different levels in the Print Media TOC and the Web Help TOC and the headings would adapt appropriately.

If there is no feature. I am thinking of submitting an enhancement request for this, although I am not exactly sure what the best behaviour should be.

Thanks for your help

Ian
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Adapting Heading Levels in Topic based on Topic level in TOC

Post by helen »

There is a feature that you can use for your whole TOC if it's a Printed Output (I don't think you can do it for each individual topic though).

Select the "Printed Output" tab in your Target, under "Generated TOC" there's a checkbox called "Use TOC depth for heading levels" which is cleared by default. Selecting this will do what it says on the tin for printed output.

hth :)
iand
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Adapting Heading Levels in Topic based on Topic level in TOC

Post by iand »

Thanks Helen that's a big help.