tough stuff for the real stuff - advanced puzzlers to try

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: tough stuff for the real stuff - advanced puzzlers to try

Post by DurtyMat »

if i remember correctly the images i used for the corners didn't display properly. i will try to test it again in a chm and post the actual results.

ps - i am trying to move away from chm files @ work, so it will probably be tested sometime this weekend.
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
MC Hammer
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MC Hammer »

DurtyMat wrote:if i remember correctly the images i used for the corners didn't display properly. i will try to test it again in a chm and post the actual results.

ps - i am trying to move away from chm files @ work, so it will probably be tested sometime this weekend.
Hi there, thanks and no worries, please just test if you have time to do so :roll:
I would like to move away from CHMs as well, but have not been successful so far.
Marie-Claire
Flare 2019 r2 - Windows 10 Pro - HTML5 help / "clean" XHTML output
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DurtyMat »

MC Hammer wrote:
DurtyMat wrote:if i remember correctly the images i used for the corners didn't display properly. i will try to test it again in a chm and post the actual results.

Hi there, thanks and no worries, please just test if you have time to do so :roll:
I would like to move away from CHMs as well, but have not been successful so far.[/quote

the chm vs web help fight wasnt an easy one. we got kind of lucky and based on some of the developments in our products a webhelp based help system kind of makes sense.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Dave Lee wrote:
MC Hammer wrote:
Dave Lee wrote:I did that by applying a style class to those items in the TOC. Set up a class for TocEntry in the skin, then open the TOC item's properties Basic tab and choose the Style class.

The "In this section" box is the miniTOC, not a div, so I set the width (as a %) for MadCap|miniTocProxy. The "See also" box below that is a div in the topic, with the same formatting as the miniTOC.
I am trying to achieve the lovely, 'In this section' techique used by Dave Lee?

For some reason this doesn't work for me anymore. it used to.
What's wrong here?
xcapt_.png
i used to be able to figure this out...now i can't as well as i used to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

It depends what you mean by it doesn't work; is there no miniTOC at all, or is it displaying a miniTOC but not with the formatting you expected?
forfear wrote:I am trying to achieve the lovely, 'In this section' techique used by Dave Lee?
I read that with Australian Question Intonation :o)
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

xcapt_1.png
i am sure i've missed out something but just don't know what it is. btw, dave, i am still impressed by that sample help output...

it really pushes all my skills up a notch just trying to hack work out parts of how they were put together. Nice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Ah, yes, I just remembered there was a problem with that bit.

The problem is that Flare doesn't seem to carry through the autonumber properties you set for the MadCap|miniTocProxy style into the output. In the output, the miniTOC is a div tag - div.MCMiniTocBox, or if you use a class it'd be div.MCMiniTocBox_class. You need to add that to your stylesheet, and include the properties for the autonumber.

Code: Select all

div.MCMiniTocBox
{
	mc-auto-number-format: 'In this section';
}
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DurtyMat »

forfear, im curious what your output looks like as well. :D
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

DurtyMat wrote:forfear, im curious what your output looks like as well. :D
I am experimenting with Segoe UI as a standard font in all my deliverables. Its a Windows XP machine, but i guess Segoe UI must have gotten downloaded with Windows Live or some service packs.

I am trying to keep the number of classes that I created down to a bare minimum.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

This one is interesting.
http://www.princexml.com/howcome/2008/w ... states.pdf

its done with HTML and CSS (a topic from Wikipedia), only thing its done via a different source renderer.

With Flare, as a print exercise of skills, I am examining it to see how I could possible achieve most of what's been done.
prince.jpg
Challenges:
How do you manage bibliographical entries?
For HATTs, its not the most important thing, but for professional print outputs, i think its a good thing to have.

Also how would you create that last page with copyright boilerplate text sunk to the bottom of a page, some sort of div positioning?

How do you create a heading title that spans beyond two columns - perhaps i could do the same, with a separate Frame for 'First pages'

Column layouts shouldn't be a problem.