Generating alias file: missing topic in report

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Generating alias file: missing topic in report

Post by i-tietz »

Hi there folks,
I just found out sth. that might be a pretty common problem with CSH (context sensitive help):

If you import a new version of a header file, it's maybe because a few IDs changed or have been deleted.
BUT: In the alias editor you only get to see the IDs that are in the header file NOW! The old IDs and assignments are "out of reach".
That leads to errors on building the help.

Means:
If you know that a few IDs will be deleted or changed, you should perform those changes in the alias editor BEFORE you import the new header file, because AFTER importing it you don't see those old IDs anymore!!

Alternative:
You have to do the cleanup of the assignments in the alias file in a text editor instead of in the alias editor (context menu, open with ... ).

I reported that as a bug, because I think I should be able to at least see those invalid assignments in the alias editor. And maybe they should even be marked as "invalid" somehow.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Generating alias file: missing topic in report

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, I use generated header files and it's something I come across pretty often. Flare will tell you about the errors, but you can't actually fix them using the alias editor.

I agree they should be displayed in the alias editor and also indicated as being invalid. Other problems like duplicate identifier names (in different header files) could also be indicated too.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Dave Lee wrote:Other problems like duplicate identifier names (in different header files) could also be indicated too.
I'm puzzled ... if those IDs are in different header files they're in different "modules" and they stand for different controls ... is that not so?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

i-tietz wrote:I'm puzzled ... if those IDs are in different header files they're in different "modules" and they stand for different controls ... is that not so?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there's nothing stopping you having the same identifier in two separate header files. Flare will report an error at build time if this happens, but I'm just saying that it would be nice if the problem was also indicated in the alias editor.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

see next message - duplicate deleted
Last edited by i-tietz on Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

I mean:
If it's in different header files it means that the ID is part of different modules. And if that is the case it ususally means that it it's different controls - that leads to: having different topics describing them is perfectly O.K.
Means: The way to solve the problem is not the one you described, but:
Flare should accept those two IDs in different files and not produce errors.
Other alternative: Have your developers improve their communication or their structure in working to avoid duplicate IDs, although that would probably turn out to be a Sisyphean task.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

No, I don't agree with you there. If you're using identifiers in your CSH calls, then the identifier you use for each separate item has to be unique.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Dave Lee wrote:No, I don't agree with you there.
"There"? Where's that?

I would prefer having unique IDs too. But if developers work that way my chance to change that tends to zero ...
If you have different experiences - be happy!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

i-tietz wrote:
Dave Lee wrote:No, I don't agree with you there.
"There"? Where's that?

I would prefer having unique IDs too. But if developers work that way my chance to change that tends to zero ...
If you have different experiences - be happy!
I mean I don't agree that Flare should accept the duplicate IDs, the error message is telling you that a help call using that identifier will not work, and you need to know that.

If you use the same identifier in two separate places, then I don't really see how you expect it to work. If you're using identifiers for your help calls, then they have to be unique.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Dave Lee wrote: I mean I don't agree that Flare should accept the duplicate IDs, the error message is telling you that a help call using that identifier will not work, and you need to know that.

If you use the same identifier in two separate places, then I don't really see how you expect it to work. If you're using identifiers for your help calls, then they have to be unique.
Is that so?
What happens if two different controls have the same alphanumeric ID but different numerical codes?
Are you trying to tell me that the numerical codes in the header files are redundant, because the help software (in this case: Flare) doesn't use them for creating the CSH?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

i-tietz wrote:
Dave Lee wrote: I mean I don't agree that Flare should accept the duplicate IDs, the error message is telling you that a help call using that identifier will not work, and you need to know that.

Is that so?
What happens if two different controls have the same alphanumeric ID but different numerical codes?
Are you trying to tell me that the numerical codes in the header files are redundant, because the help software (in this case: Flare) doesn't use them for creating the CSH?
When you make a CSH help call, only one bit of information is being sent - you use either the identifier name or the number.

So, if you're using identifier names in your help calls then each identifier name must be unique, and if you're using numbers then each number needs to be unique.

If you have duplicate identifier names that have different numbers, then making a help call using the identifier name won't work as the names aren't unique. In this case you'd make the help call using the number instead, as that is unique to each item.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

i-tietz wrote:That's seen from the application side, I suppose?
The CSH call to the help is made from your application (using a link or javascript), and the call will include either the identifier name or the number, but not both. The help will display the topic associated with that identifier or number, which you set in the alias editor.
lisadames
Propeller Head

Post by lisadames »

I'm getting the "Generating alias file: missing topic" message when I generate my WebHelp. In my alias file, I had added and deleted then added the entry for the topic that's having the problem. The alias file and header file both look correct in Flare. When I look at them in a text editor, they also look correct. Does anyone have any other suggestions for dealing with this problem?