Huge table - tricks for speeding it up

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
QuadraQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Huge table - tricks for speeding it up

Post by QuadraQ »

Hi all,

I have a very large (huge even) table that I need to re-create in Flare, and it's taking forever. Is there some way I could do an excel import, or some other trick to speed up it's creation. Right now the original isn't strictly a table, just a bunch of ordered text. Thanks.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Huge table - tricks for speeding it up

Post by LTinker68 »

If you have Flare v4.x or higher, you can select the cells in the Excel spreadsheet and copy (Edit > Copy or Ctrl + C), then go to a topic in Flare and paste (Edit > Paste or Ctrl + V). The Paste Text screen will appear -- select the option to paste as a table.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

You could also try to save as html document and "import" that into Flare.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Andrew wrote:You could also try to save as html document and "import" that into Flare.
Hrmm, then you're trusting Microsoft's HTML coding, which can be dodgy (take a look at the HTML output from a Word export in a text editor some time - the amount of extraneous code is unreal).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

KevinDAmery wrote:
Andrew wrote:You could also try to save as html document and "import" that into Flare.
Hrmm, then you're trusting Microsoft's HTML coding, which can be dodgy (take a look at the HTML output from a Word export in a text editor some time - the amount of extraneous code is unreal).
I'm not trusting Microsoft's HTML (though in Office 2007 it's gotten much better) so much as I'm hoping Flare will clean a lot of it up on import. I haven't tried it before, but it's worth a shot.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Andrew wrote:I'm not trusting Microsoft's HTML (though in Office 2007 it's gotten much better) so much as I'm hoping Flare will clean a lot of it up on import. I haven't tried it before, but it's worth a shot.
Sadly, in my experience it doesn't. (Would be cool if it did, tho...) Flare doesn't seem to perform much surgery on incoming HTML content other than adding what it needs to the <head> tag.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
QuadraQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by QuadraQ »

Just wanted to say thank you for the tips. I copied out of excel and pasted as a table, and that worked great, and saved me gobs of time.