Convert Master Page into Page Layout?

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Juliane
Jr. Propeller Head

Convert Master Page into Page Layout?

Post by Juliane »

Hi,

I am a new user of MadCap Flare and have just started working on a documentation project that was created by somebody else in MCF V3. For the print-based output, the project uses Microsoft Word targets, which are associated with a Master Page; the Word files are then manually converted into PDFs and distributed.

As MCF V5 now offers PDF as an output type I would prefer to directly produce a PDF file instead of going the detour via a Word file. However, if I have understood the MCF Help correctly, PDF output files cannot be associated with a Master Page but require a Page Layout. Does anyone of you know if there is an easy way to convert a Master Page into a Page Layout? As I am new to Flare, creating a Page Layout (that has the exact stlye settings as the existing Master Page) from scratch seems like a big obstacle to me...

Your help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Juliane
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Convert Master Page into Page Layout?

Post by LTinker68 »

Page layouts and direct-to-PDF output were added in v4 (they're not new to v5, in other words). There is not a way to convert a masterpage to a page layout, probably because you can have so many page types in one page layout. You can copy-and-paste some items (text) into a header or footer frame, but most things you'll have to recreate.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Juliane
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Convert Master Page into Page Layout?

Post by Juliane »

Thanks for the information. I will have to put some work into recreating the layout then...