cross references and autonumbers

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

cross references and autonumbers

Post by livetoski »

I am using a style called skip, with the XRef Format step {paranum}.

I insert a bookmark in a step, and then I type Skip to, and I create cross reference to the bookmark. This works fine for first level steps. I can get a nice "Skip to step 5", with step 5 as my xref. It is not working for steps that are labelled 1.a. I have not tried to see if I changed my style to 1.1 if that would solve it. I am not about to change the style.

Does anyone have any help for me? It's not like I have a lot of skips, and I would branch in a different way but this is a nice way to solve some things. thanks.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: cross references and autonumbers

Post by LTinker68 »

Can you post the style for your 1.a auto-number paragraph?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

Hi Lisa, we imported everything from Flare, and the style for both autonumbers is p. Why would the autonumbering in a bookmark for xref work for p.step and note p.step2? The details from the CSS are below. I imagine you will tell me that Flare doesn't know how to increment alphabetically? Would this work if it were an auto number style?

p.step
{
text-align: left;
margin-right: 0in;
margin-bottom: 5pt;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
letter-spacing: 0em;
mc-auto-number-format: 'S:{n+}. ';
mc-auto-number-position: outside-head;
mc-auto-number-offset: 24px;
mc-auto-number-class: ;
line-height: 13pt;
text-decoration: none;
color: #404040;
font-size: 9pt;
margin-top: 3pt;
margin-left: 0.25in;
}
p.step2
{
text-align: left;
margin-right: 0in;
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 5pt;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
letter-spacing: 0em;
mc-auto-number-format: 'R:{a+}. ';
mc-auto-number-position: outside-head;
mc-auto-number-class: ;
line-height: 13pt;
text-decoration: none;
color: #404040;
font-size: 9pt;
margin-left: 45px;
mc-auto-number-offset: 20px;
}
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

It works fine for me using your styles, xref links to bookmarks in the steps show up as Skip to a . , Skip to b ., etc.
What link text do you see, if it's not showing the step's letter?

Or is the problem that you want the link text to be '1.a. ' , rather than 'a. ' ?
The xref {paranum} format will just show the autonumber value for the bookmarked step. So to get '1.a' for example, you'd need to change the p.step2 autonumber format to include the number too (e.g. by including {Sn}).
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

DAve you beat me to it. TODAY Flare is playing nice and I get my cross reference to c or d or whatever I like. I heard Sharon Burton in the middle of a webinar say more than once, Okay, Flare is not playing nice with me. I have to say, I just have to accept that some days Flare does not play nice with me. Today, I was showing a colleague how it didn't work as a cross reference and I was going to use a hyperlink, et voila! It worked.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

livetoski wrote:Today, I was showing a colleague how it didn't work as a cross reference and I was going to use a hyperlink, et voila! It worked.
Ok, simple solution then; you just need to do all your writing with a colleague looking over your shoulder :mrgreen:
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

We've both experienced success with that method. Flare seems to enjoy the attention! :)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Maybe you can trick it... Hang a mirror on the wall behind you and angle it to the monitor -- maybe Flare will think there's someone else watching and it'll behave. Or get one of those cutout figures you can hang on the wall.

Lisa
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

livetoski wrote:Why would the autonumbering in a bookmark for xref work for p.step and note p.step2? The details from the CSS are below. I imagine you will tell me that Flare doesn't know how to increment alphabetically?
No, actually, I wanted to make sure you had the auto-number format set up to add the alpha letter after the number automatically instead of you doing it manually. As it is, it still seems like it's only formatted to give you 1. for the first style and a. for the second style. I thought you wanted the second style to resolve to 1.a, for example. In that case, I would have expected the format to be something like R:{n}.{a+}. The {n} instead of {n+} is so that it uses the last value specified for n without incrementing it and {a+} being used to increment the second digit of the number. So your list would resolve to something like the following (spacing not exact, of course):
1. --> p.step
1.a --> p.step2
1.b --> p.step2
2. --> p.step
2.a --> p.step2
2.b -- p.step2

From your formats, it seems like your numbering will end up as:
a.
b.
a.
b.

Lisa
livetoski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by livetoski »

That is correct, Lisa, it formats it like this:
1. introductory text for the following nested text:
a.
b.

What wasn't working was the cross reference to a book mark at the second level (for example a bookmark at a.) And today, Flare played nice and all is well. My skips look like this: "If blah blah, skip to step b." and "step b" is a xref to a bookmark at b within the nested step. My colleague doesn't want it to say step "2.b." but we might arm wrestle over that one.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Ah, got it. I thought your original post was that you wanted it to say "skip to step 1.a" and it was only giving you "skip to step 1".

Lisa