Find and replace in glossaries

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Jessa
Propeller Head

Find and replace in glossaries

Post by Jessa »

I have a huge glossary and I would like to edit it using Find and Replace. Or even Finding and then pasting text.
You can do a Find and Replace in a glossary and it looks like it's doing something ... only it doesn't do anything. The found text is never replaced. It's bizarre. I ran through the whole glossary three times before I realized that it wasn't replacing any text at all.

Tips? Tricks? Steps?

This glossary is enormous with at least four versions of the essentially the same term. When I modify one of them, I want to modify all of them. I can't find a way to do it.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Find and replace in glossaries

Post by DurtyMat »

Open the glossary in the internal text editor (right click the glossary file) then open the Find and Replace pane. Search for the exact definition (which should be between <definition> </definition> tags) and replace it that way. That should rip through your glossary fairly quickly the changes you make should be applied.

I tested it in the MadCap provided glossary and didn't run into any issues.
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Are you talking about a single glossary file, or are you merging projects and you're getting duplications in the glossary because of that? The reason I ask is because Flare normally gives you an error if you enter a glossary term that already exists in the same glossary file.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Jessa
Propeller Head

Post by Jessa »

LTinker68 wrote:Are you talking about a single glossary file, or are you merging projects and you're getting duplications in the glossary because of that? The reason I ask is because Flare normally gives you an error if you enter a glossary term that already exists in the same glossary file.
I'm talking about a single glossary file.
Jessa
Propeller Head

Post by Jessa »

DurtyMat wrote:Open the glossary in the internal text editor (right click the glossary file) then open the Find and Replace pane. Search for the exact definition (which should be between <definition> </definition> tags) and replace it that way. That should rip through your glossary fairly quickly the changes you make should be applied.

I tested it in the MadCap provided glossary and didn't run into any issues.
Nice! Trying to find the found text is a little trick for me in all that code, but it works. Thank you!!
I have already wasted too much time trying to edit these one at a time.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DurtyMat »

glad it worked.
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?