TOC Generating in a PDF

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
rbutts
Jr. Propeller Head

TOC Generating in a PDF

Post by rbutts »

I am very green to Flare so this question may seem elementary. I need to have a TOC in my generated PDF. How do I do that? :?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: TOC Generating in a PDF

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome!

It's not hard. Here's what to do in Flare 5 (generally; for detailed instructions, check out the Flare Help system).

1) Add a topic to your project that will be hold the contents. (I typically call this topic "contents.htm".) On the Add New Topic window, be sure to select the TopicForTOC.htm from the list of templates.

2) When you open the new topic itself, you'll find MadCap's instructions on how to generate the table of contents. You'll need to get rid of those instructions before you build, and leave just the "output toc proxy". The proxy will be replaced by the generated table of contents.

3) In the project's TOC, add your new contents topic to the TOC near the top, probably after your title page. You will probably need also to assign a page layout to this topic. If you neglect to add the contents topic to the TOC, it won't be included in the generated PDF.

4) The formatting of the table of contents itself, when generated, is controlled by your stylesheet. If you don't like the formatting, you can edit the styles for the TOC. In your stylesheet, edit the p.TOC1, p.TOC2 styles, etc. as needed to achieve the formatting you like in the generated PDF.

Hope this helps. (Everyone else, did I miss anything?)

Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

And let me add this: You'll find various discussions regarding tables of contents in the Printed Documentation forum, rather than in the Procedural Steps, Tips and Tricks forum. For instance, there was a discussion recently on how to get the contents topic itself NOT to appear in the generated table of contents.

Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
rbutts
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rbutts »

Thank you. I got it to work along with some other things. :D