Using Flare 11 and 12 in one team

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Using Flare 11 and 12 in one team

Post by Matze »

Hi all,
we want roll out flare for our whole team, but I currently use flare 11, the other colleagues will be work with 12 in the future.

I belive that should be work great, because the topics are xhtml files and the project files are xml. So nice so far.

But I guess some smal new features of flare 12 are not easy to handle in one team/in one project, do you agree or what are your experiences?
E.g. flare 12 can handle conditions directly in styles ...

Thx a lot.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Using Flare 11 and 12 in one team

Post by roboHAL »

In a very general sense, using versions 11 and 12 to open and build the same project will be fine. There is nothing that absolutely prohibits using both versions. I do.

Inevitably there will be certain minor issues, but even then you should be able to work around them. My recommendation is to be aware of the new features in 12. http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... _Flare.htm
For instance if you do something like sort a table in 12 and an author using 11 wants to edit that order to another sort it wouldn't be as convenient, but you could always ask a user with 12 to perform the operation or do it manually in 11. Another example is if you're using TFS, V12 has an option to enforce commenting and V11 does not. You could run into a source control error at check in if the option was set on in 12 and a person checks out/in the file using V11. Again that can be worked around by ignoring the error. Use the version which works best in a given situation.