Demanding a save

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
joel7
Propeller Head

Demanding a save

Post by joel7 »

Why when I toggle between the XML Editor and the Text Editor does Flare demand a save, even though I haven't changed a thing?
KayJay
Propeller Head

Re: Demanding a save

Post by KayJay »

I think it's because flare saves information about the size of the window in the XML, so toggling between XML and text changes/overwrites the window size information. e.g.

Code: Select all

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="15" MadCap:lastHeight="14839" MadCap:lastWidth="576">
I wrote a git hook that removes these attributes from diffs/commits because it's not meaningful information. If anyone is interested I can share the hook, just let me know.
LeslieT
Propeller Head

Post by LeslieT »

KayJay wrote:
I wrote a git hook that removes these attributes from diffs/commits because it's not meaningful information. If anyone is interested I can share the hook, just let me know.
KayJay,

I am very interested! We are using Git and I just hate that these elements are considered changed when they really aren't. It has long been an annoyance for me and I can't fathom why the window size information isn't stored in the Users folder like other user-specific items.

If you can explain how you integrated the Git hook into your repository, that would be awesome!
----------------------
Leslie T.

KayJay
Propeller Head

Post by KayJay »

Hi Leslie,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one this was driving crazy! I made a separate post explaining this and another script I'm working on to handle global project linking.

Best,
Kristy
Leheuvade
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Leheuvade »

KayJay wrote:I think it's because flare saves information about the size of the window in the XML, so toggling between XML and text changes/overwrites the window size information. e.g.

Code: Select all

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="15" MadCap:lastHeight="14839" MadCap:lastWidth="576">
Hi KayJay, you said you wrote a git hooks. Does it run from the Flare interface ?
Because I also wrote a pre-commit hook, the latter run when I use command line Git, but does not run when i commit since the Flare interface.

How do you solve this problem ?
KayJay
Propeller Head

Post by KayJay »

Hi Leheuvade,

I should have explained this better (it's not a hook actually, I use that for something else and got mixed up). I use the Windows Gitbash command line, so what I did was write a "clean" filter that is applied when files are staged, so that anything in the index (e.g. after "git add"ing the files) doesn't show the window-size information anymore.

For me this does not run in the Flare interface, as I do not use the Flare+Git integration. But looking at the documentation for Flare+Git it does seem that you can modify the .git files in a text editor, so you could test out whether making the changes to the .gitconfig and .gitattributes files works.

The specific code for the filter is described here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=29085&p=127284
However, I would highly doubt that the Flare+Git integration doesn't handle this problem already (if not then something has gone seriously awry at their end!)

Hope this helps!