Why is "autonum" being added to headings?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Why is "autonum" being added to headings?

Post by oceanclub »

We're a team who works on the same documentation using the same projects, stylesheets, etc.

However, when some of the team edit documents, "Madcap:autonum" is added to headings:

For example:

<h2 MadCap:autonum="0.1">Heading 2<a name="heading2></a></h2>

When another member edits the same file and saves, that disappears.

Does anyone know what local settings means the behaviour is different for different people?

P
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Why is "autonum" being added to headings?

Post by Nita Beck »

First I'll ask some questions. Does the project contain multiple stylesheets and in one stylesheet is h2 defined without an auto-number but in another it is defined with an auto-number? Or, if there is only one stylesheet, is h2 define in one medium without an auto-number but in another medium with an auto-number?

In either situation, Flare will show h2s as defined in the stylesheet and medium associated with the user's primary target. Perhaps some of you have set as your primary target the one whose h2s are without auto-numbers, while others of you have set the primary target to the one whose h2s do have auto-numbers.

Just don't worry about what the XML Editor (or internal text editor) shows. As Mike Hamilton of MadCap once said, "The XML Editor isn't WYSIWYG. It's WYSIOPO ("what you see is one possible outcome"). The salient question is, are the h2s being rendered correctly in targets?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Nita Beck wrote:First I'll ask some questions. Does the project contain multiple stylesheets and in one stylesheet is h2 defined without an auto-number but in another it is defined with an auto-number? Or, if there is only one stylesheet, is h2 define in one medium without an auto-number but in another medium with an auto-number?

In either situation, Flare will show h2s as defined in the stylesheet and medium associated with the user's primary target. Perhaps some of you have set as your primary target the one whose h2s are without auto-numbers, while others of you have set the primary target to the one whose h2s do have auto-numbers.

Just don't worry about what the XML Editor (or internal text editor) shows. As Mike Hamilton of MadCap once said, "The XML Editor isn't WYSIWYG. It's WYSIOPO ("what you see is one possible outcome"). The salient question is, are the h2s being rendered correctly in targets?
Hi there,

Just the one stylesheet is used which is imported from a global project.

H2 is defined as follows:

Code: Select all

h2
{
	color: #c30e2e;
	/* Fenergo red */
	font-size: 1.3em;
	/* 15pt 	*/
	font-weight: bold;
	mc-heading-level: 2;
}

/* Print follows */
	h2
	{
		color: #000000;
		/* Black */
		mc-auto-number-format: 'GH:{n}.{n+} ';
	}

So is the problem that mc-heading-level: 2; is in the wrong place and should be moved to the print medium?

P.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

The mc-heading-level attribute doesn't have anything to do with the auto-numbering. That said, it is applicable to print documentation, so it's not a bad idea to move it to the Print medium.

Back to the auto-numbering, I see that in the Print medium, there is a auto-number defined. So, I return to my original thought, does the problem you describe show up while working in the XML Editor but not in generated targets? If yes, then there's nothing to worry about. As I had mused above, I suspect that some users have set an online target (e.g., HTML5) their primary target, while others have set a print target (e.g., PDF) as their primary target. The XML Editor shows (more or less) the formatting associated with the primary target's designated stylesheet and medium. So, the "online target" users won't see auto-numbering in the XML Editor, while the "print target" users will see it. And just don't worry about what a heading with/without an auto-number might look like in the Internal Text Editor. Flare will sort it all out when it builds.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Nita Beck wrote:The mc-heading-level attribute doesn't have anything to do with the auto-numbering. That said, it is applicable to print documentation, so it's not a bad idea to move it to the Print medium.

Back to the auto-numbering, I see that in the Print medium, there is a auto-number defined. So, I return to my original thought, does the problem you describe show up while working in the XML Editor but not in generated targets? If yes, then there's nothing to worry about.
Hi Nita,

Yup it's true that the problem is only perceived at the XML level and that the numbering works in the generated print matter.

However, the problem is that it makes it harder to track changes in Git when one teammate saves a file edited by another. All the numbering will show up as changes even when it wasn't. Hence my reason in figuring out why this is happening..

P.