Exporting a project using multiple targets

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
dle
Propeller Head

Exporting a project using multiple targets

Post by dle »

Hello,

I'm creating PDF manuals around 2 products. Each manual is its own target. Some content between the two products are shared. These manuals need to be translated.

Typically, I would simply Export, then based the exported project off of a target. However, I am wary of the increased word count (for translations) if I were to export 6 separate targets. I have tried exporting one project, then going through the project folder and recording the files associated with the target. And I would do that for every single project; however that is very time consuming and open to error. So I was wondering if there was a way to export a project and have the resulting project based off of more than a single target.

Thanks

Dave
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Exporting a project using multiple targets

Post by doloremipsum »

I had to do exactly this the other day! You have to reverse your thinking and instead use the import process.

Create an empty Flare project and add a Flare project Import file. Select the project to import and type in the specific targets that you need. Ensure that the Include Linked Files option is checked and click Import. You should get the targets and anything linked to them (i.e. the TOC and all topics linked to that). And it's convenient to import again when it needs to be re-translated, and build directly from that project.

(Just double check that everything *has* come through - occasionally I've had an image or something missing)
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
dle
Propeller Head

Post by dle »

doloremipsum wrote:I had to do exactly this the other day! You have to reverse your thinking and instead use the import process.

Create an empty Flare project and add a Flare project Import file. Select the project to import and type in the specific targets that you need. Ensure that the Include Linked Files option is checked and click Import. You should get the targets and anything linked to them (i.e. the TOC and all topics linked to that). And it's convenient to import again when it needs to be re-translated, and build directly from that project.

(Just double check that everything *has* come through - occasionally I've had an image or something missing)
Hi,

I opened a new project up, had it empty.
Project > Import > Import Flare Project (import flare project wizard appears)
Select project file, auto-reimport before generate output
Next
Type in *.fltar
Select only target files.
Auto-included linked files (checked)
Finish

---> So only the target file was included, and none of the files associated with it.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Hmm, I'm not sure why that would happen. I did it by creating an Import file instead (under Project/Imports), so maybe you could try that.
dle
Propeller Head

Post by dle »

I ended up exporting the target via project; do that for other targets.

Then I made new project then imported each target. So that was fine. The issue is that since some files are shared, and the imported targets have conditions which exclude some content, importing a file with the same name will end up rewriting necessary info.

I'll have to create a new target with all the conditions I need. Start a new project, import that, along with the targets I actually need. Hope that the translators can parse the information.

Will update on what I find.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I need to do this a few time a year too and I have used the method of exporting all the targets I want and them importing them into an new project. I am curious about the method you are describing when you sat "Select the project to import and type in the specific targets that you need". How do you do spedify targets? I do not see that option.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

When you create an import file, in the 'Include Files:' field put in the names of the targets you want to import. Check the 'Auto-include linked files' box. This should pull in just those targets and all of the files associated with them (TOCs, topics, stylesheets, etc.).
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

Wow, this is amazing. I can enter all the targets I want, semi-colon separated and it works. Thank you so much for this tip!