Is Flare 2022 a bit slow?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Is Flare 2022 a bit slow?

Post by doloremipsum »

Salvete omnes, I've been running Flare 2022 this week and it is noticeably slower than 2021R2, which I was running before. This is mostly affecting my largest project: there's often a considerable input delay when I'm typing in a topic, meaning I often have to pause and wait for the display to catch up to my typing. The Find All tool is a lot slower to search the whole project as well.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know my computer is kind of old, but it runs ok with most other applications, including Flare 2021 still.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Is Flare 2022 a bit slow?

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Never brave enough to be an early adopter, so I have no first-hand experience of Flare 2022 yet - I am waiting to see what others think of it!

The system requirements haven't changed over the last year, but if your old hardware was running close to the 8GB RAM limit then this update could be one too far.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Good thinking, but I have... 24GB of RAM apparently so that's probably not the issue. My HDD seems to also hit the recommended 7200rpm.

I'm not seeing any issues with Flare except for the slowdown, if that helps!
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Is Flare 2022 a bit slow? Yes, it seems to be, at least for stylesheets, but I've only just downloaded it, so am still experimenting.

Copying and pasting a topic or image in the Content Explorer is OK, as is editing a topic in the XML or text editor, including adding an image.

Stylesheets are slow. When I added a description, there was a one or two second lag between each keypress and the character appearing on screen. My colleague is also finding it painfully slow when editing the stylesheet.

Context
Laptop has 16GB RAM and 2.8GHz processor, running Windows 10.
The project is more than 1GB. I'm working locally, checking in and out via Git, but outside Flare.
Last edited by Cecily on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
maxxess
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by maxxess »

Hello!
Yes, it's slower in my larger Projects. The XML editor pauses periodically when entering text. This makes it impossible for me to work smoothly. I'm switching to version 2021 R3 for now until I can work with it again :(
Last edited by maxxess on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarrantsvt
Propeller Head

Post by sarrantsvt »

I have not noticed it as being slower.
Doing Online Help since 1990. I remember "dots" .........
Got a bug? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs/
Got a suggestion? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
kmorrison
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by kmorrison »

I'd been finding the stylesheet editor - particularly entering comments about styles - to be painfully slow, particularly with longer stylesheets, before I installed Flare 2022.

I did some test builds with Flare 2022 right after I installed it and found that most projects took a little longer to build, but not enough longer to really matter. It's also possible that other stuff that was going on in the background on the computer could have affected the build time. Other than that, I have not noticed a difference after switching to Flare 2022.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

I'm not using Flare 2022 although I did download a trial version for a while. I decided it didn't offer me much more than what I've already got with Flare 11.

However, I did have an issue with Flare running really slowly. Someone on here suggested checking my virus scanner settings and making sure the Flare folders were excluded. That resolved all my issues with speed!

I hadn't updated my virus scanner or changed the settings but something had changed and this fixed it. Good luck.
marvin mallari
MadCap Staff

Post by marvin mallari »

Hello Folks,

Thank you for posting. Would it be possible for you to provide additional information regarding the projects and their structures?
  • How large is the project?
    Are you bound to source control? What type of source control?
    Is the project saved to a network drive?
    Does running in "Safe Mode with Networking" help with the performance?
    Where is the slowness occurring? (Typing via XML editor, Stylesheet editor, loading of window panes, etc)
If you can also enter a support ticket with this information, that would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/ ... tions.aspx
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Thanks for chiming in @marvin mallari, nice to hear from staff :)
You know what, the slowness in my project has actually cleared up! Seems to be running as normal for me now, so I wonder if there was something local to my PC going on. But in case it's helpful to anyone else, here are the details:
  • Project is 1.63 GB or 27,000 files (good lord)
  • Bound to Git source control, although I manage it outside of the Flare interface
  • Not on a network drive
  • Since I'm not having a problem currently I didn't try Safe Mode with Networking
  • I observed the slowdown when typing in the XML editor