Ordered list in snippet shows up as plain text w/o bullets

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Ordered list in snippet shows up as plain text w/o bullets

Post by kathryngz »

I have an ordered list in a snippet:

Code: Select all

<body>
        <p>Berries:</p>
        <ul>
            <li>Raspberries</li>
            <li>Blueberries</li>
            <li>Blackbarries</li>
        </ul>
 </body>
In the snippet, it looks as I would expect it to:

Berries:
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Blackberries
But when I insert the snippet into a document, the bullets are gone and it looks like this:

Berries:RaspberriesBlueberriesBlackberries

But interestingly, when I copy the code from the snippet (everything between the body tags), paste it directly into the text editor of my document, and then switch to XML view, the copied list is formatted correctly. So I know the source code in the snippet is formatted correctly, and I also know it's not a style issue (otherwise, the bullets wouldn't show up on the list I pasted in).

I've seen a lot of posts on this forum about making partial lists work, but this isn't a partial list--the whole thing is in the snippet. In addition, I'm fairly sure this hasn't been a problem in the past, so I'm wondering if it's a new bug in Flare 10. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing this problem?

Thanks--

Kathryn
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Ordered list in snippet shows up as plain text w/o bullets

Post by Nita Beck »

Kathryn, it sounds like you've inserted the snippet so it is "snippetText" instead of a "snippetBlock." "SnippetText" inherits whatever the style is of the block it appears within, whereas a "snippetBlock" keeps its own internal formatting.

When you insert the snippet via the Flare UI, you need to make sure that you are inserting it into an otherwise empty block; that way, it'll be inserted as a snippetBlock and keep its formatting. If you insert it into a block that already has some text in it, the snippet will be inserted as snippetText and will lose its formatting.

There's a shortcut that *might* fix your particular problem. Select the snippet in the XML Editor and then view the code. I'd bet $ that you'll see "snippetText" in the code. Edit the code to read "snippetBlock". That should give you the list as you'd like it. Of course, I've assumed that the snippet isn't within a block that has some other stuff in it.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
kathryngz
Propeller Head

Re: Ordered list in snippet shows up as plain text w/o bullets

Post by kathryngz »

Nita, that was exactly the problem. I must have unintentionally chosen that option when I inserted the snippet. So I just learned something new--I can imagine situations where the text option would be helpful, even though this wasn't one of them :)

Thanks so much!

Kathryn
cacao87pct
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Ordered list in snippet shows up as plain text w/o bulle

Post by cacao87pct »

Thank you for this post. I had the same problem, and snippetBlock did it for me.
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

Nita Beck wrote:Kathryn, it sounds like you've inserted the snippet so it is "snippetText" instead of a "snippetBlock." "SnippetText" inherits whatever the style is of the block it appears within, whereas a "snippetBlock" keeps its own internal formatting.

When you insert the snippet via the Flare UI, you need to make sure that you are inserting it into an otherwise empty block; that way, it'll be inserted as a snippetBlock and keep its formatting. If you insert it into a block that already has some text in it, the snippet will be inserted as snippetText and will lose its formatting.

There's a shortcut that *might* fix your particular problem. Select the snippet in the XML Editor and then view the code. I'd bet $ that you'll see "snippetText" in the code. Edit the code to read "snippetBlock". That should give you the list as you'd like it. Of course, I've assumed that the snippet isn't within a block that has some other stuff in it.

HTH
How do you insert as a snippetblock? The snippet has two steps. The first one is a style that uses the number 1. The second line has a style that increments the number. However, when I insert the snippet, the numbers do not come in at all. I even tried it in a new topic and still do not show the numbers.
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

Actually when I converted the snippet to text and hit Enter the numbers showed up! Weird.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Post by paintedturtle »

tekwrite55 wrote:Actually when I converted the snippet to text and hit Enter the numbers showed up! Weird.
When you insert a snippet on a blank line (<p>), it will be a Snippet Block, and keep its formatting.
When you insert a snippet into a line with something else already there, it is Snippet Text, and can be formatted with the paragraph it's in. If I want Snippet text to format, I often type a character, insert the snippet, and delete the character later.
Snippet Blocks can create weird formatting if you are expecting them to be Snippet Text--I discovered this the other day in a document and so learned the difference!
~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

This is another pain with the XML editor. Generate your output and take a look - I bet your numbers will be in there, even without converting to text.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Pog
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Pog »

Yet another solution from the forum! :D