Performance issues in 2021 r3

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
morgan
Jr. Propeller Head

Performance issues in 2021 r3

Post by morgan »

I have been seeing some major performance issues with Flare recently. I'm still on 2021 r3 (we're releasing in a week, so I'll start playing with 2022 once that is done). I noticed the issue right around the time we started implementing FontAwesome, so my suspicion is that might be related, but I don't know what my next steps should be to investigate that (or how to go about fixing it, if that is actually the issue). Has anyone experienced anything like this, and if so could you provide any suggestions on what to look for or how to fix? I will probably put a ticket in too, but figured I might get some suggestions from others on here while I wait.

I see significant performance delays when editing in the XML editor - even just trying to select a word or delete a single character can make it choke. Other times I can edit just fine with no delays. Frequent commits definitely seem to help but even a single change to 1 file can sometimes cause it to freeze on me. When this happens, Flare's window shrinks to about 50% of the size and goes completely non-responsive. If I wait, it will un-freeze after a few minutes (usually). It freezes pretty consistently if I click the style dropdown from the ribbon (it will freeze, then when it comes back, the dropdown still won't be expanded). Clicking on any of the formatting options in the ribbon also seems cause it to freeze but this is more intermittent.

Right now it has been locked up for over 10 minutes and the only thing I have done since my last commit was select a single word and press the Backspace key. My CPU is not showing significant spikes but Flare is using something like 3k MB of memory and at the moment it's pegged at 96%. This is an extreme version of the delays I see all day long.

Additional info:
  • I'm seeing it in 2 projects - one of those is a VERY large project but the other is pretty reasonably sized.
  • Both projects are bound to source control - the large one is bound to Azure DevOps via Git, while the smaller one is bound to Central only.
  • I'm running this on a Windows VM with plenty of space. Flare ran beautifully until a couple months ago (see next item) and nothing has changed in my machine's configuration.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Performance issues in 2021 r3

Post by Nita Beck »

Might there be some anti-virus activity going on in the background? Just a thought. I think I've seen others mention that what anti-virus activity interferred with Flare. Not sure why it would start up, though, when you added Font Awesome.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

I suspect the delays are related to fetching object from Font Awesome.

You can check that using Dev Tools>Network tab. Open the help project, open Dev Tools, then reload and check the waterfall display to see what's eating your i/o time.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
morgan
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by morgan »

Thank you both! I am just getting caught back up after a major release and a vacation, so I haven't had a chance to look into it until now.

I do strongly suspect it is related to FontAwesome rather than anti-virus, mainly because of the timing. If I find anything useful I'll be sure to update here.

Thanks again!