Create different output from single target

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Nick-Metcalfe
Propeller Head

Create different output from single target

Post by Nick-Metcalfe »

I have a bunch of product user manuals as targets in a project. I now want to generate datasheets for each user manual using the variables from each target. Is there any way to generate content using the same variables, so I only have to maintain one set of variables for each product but can generate multiple pieces of content?
Cheers
Nick
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Create different output from single target

Post by NorthEast »

Not sure I fully understand the question, but if you go to the target's Variables tab, you can set a value for the variable to use in that particular target.
So for that target, that variable value will be used instead of the default value (from the variable set).

Flare will use the variable value in this order of precedence, if they exist:
(1) Value set in a snippet's Snippet Variables.
(2) Value set in target's Variables.
(3) Value set in the variable set (the default).
Nick-Metcalfe
Propeller Head

Post by Nick-Metcalfe »

I am using the variables but essentially I want all the variable information from one target to be used in another. I think I will just need to use more than one set of variables to be able to accomplish what I am looking at doing and having a variable set for each product.
Cheers
Nick
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to do this by setting the definitions in the variable file rather than in the target. You can add multiple alternative definitions and then in the target select which one you want to use - that would allow you to select the same definition in multiple targets, then update it in all of them at once by updating the variable file.

(Word of warning - this works great when your variable files and your targets and stored and edited in the same project. We edit our variables in a global project and then import them, so the targets don't get the memo about the variable update. We need to go into all of the many, many targets and reselect the new definition.)
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Nick-Metcalfe
Propeller Head

Post by Nick-Metcalfe »

doloremipsum wrote:If I understand you correctly, you should be able to do this by setting the definitions in the variable file rather than in the target. You can add multiple alternative definitions and then in the target select which one you want to use - that would allow you to select the same definition in multiple targets, then update it in all of them at once by updating the variable file.

(Word of warning - this works great when your variable files and your targets and stored and edited in the same project. We edit our variables in a global project and then import them, so the targets don't get the memo about the variable update. We need to go into all of the many, many targets and reselect the new definition.)
This works perfectly thank you
Cheers
Nick