Acronyms Don't Show Up in HTML5 Glossary Searches

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Huddleston59
Jr. Propeller Head

Acronyms Don't Show Up in HTML5 Glossary Searches

Post by Huddleston59 »

I have created a large glossary in Flare, purely for HTML5 output (no PDFs or print output). I used the Glossary Proxy to create the glossary page, and the Glossary Editor to add the terms and definitions. Whenever I open the output in my browser, I can use the browser's Search box to find full terms, but not acronyms. A search for an acronym provides 0 results. (The glossary uses MadCap Search, although I tried using Google Search and Elasticsearch but the problem still shows up.) Users will absolutely want to search the glossary for acronyms, as they may not know the full term. Does anyone know the cause of this problem?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Acronyms Don't Show Up in HTML5 Glossary Searches

Post by doloremipsum »

Are you using periods between each letter of your acronyms? e.g. N.A.S.A instead of NASA. I can imagine that might cause the search to fail, but I don't know for sure.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Huddleston59
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Huddleston59 »

I am not using periods between the letters of the acronym. I thought the problem might be occurring because the acronyms are usually surrounded by parens, but when I add the parens to my search, the acronyms still don't show up. This is kind of maddening!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

To get the glossary terms to appear in search results, check that you have:
1) Selected the glossary file(s) in the target Glossary tab.
2) Selected Include glossary results (in Advanced Search Options) in the target Search tab.

For info, the glossary proxy isn't typically used in help outputs, as it's intended for print outputs. In help outputs, you can convert the glossary terms in your help topics, so that users can view a definition of the glossary term directly in the topic - so they don't have to go somewhere else to look it up.
Huddleston59
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Huddleston59 »

Here's the thing: We want to publish a free-standing master glossary that our users can access without having to open any of our documentation libraries. Once the master glossary is published, we would like to draw definitions from it by cross-referencing key terms to the master from the other libraries. The master glossary and other documentation libraries are being output as HTML 5 for online access only.

Is this possible? If so, what is the best way to set up the master library? Just as a stand-alone Flare project? Clearly the glossary proxy isn't working the way we want it to, so if I have to re-create the master glossary, I want to make sure I'm setting up in the best manner possible, especially since we want to use it as the source for definitions in our other documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help!