Madcap elements in html tag

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
lanval
Propeller Head

Madcap elements in html tag

Post by lanval »

Is there some way of preventing Flare from adding the MadCap:lastBlockDepth, MadCap:lastHeight, and MadCap:lastWidth to the html tag? This causes additional work every time we perform merges in our CMS (TFS) as it is seen as a content change. When you are merging into 80 branches (which is how development setup their projects and we help authors just have to live with it) to gets kind of bothersome...
Cheers,
Michael
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Madcap elements in html tag

Post by LTinker68 »

Not that I'm aware of. You could possibly do a find-and-replace with regular expressions to strip all of those attributes out, check everything in, then remember to do the FAR every time you make changes but before you check them in. After the initial stripping of the attributes, they should only be added back in when you edit a topic. HOWEVER, I have never checked to see if simply building the output adds them back in, so you might want to test that.

In the meantime, submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I'm not sure what feature was introduced in v4 that required those new attributes, but maybe it's something they can add as an option at the project level.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
pvz
Propeller Head

Post by pvz »

I realize this is a very old post, but we're running into the same issue and wonder if anyone has figured a way around the problem.

To recap: the MadCap:lastBlockDepth, MadCap:lastHeight, and MadCap:lastWidth values are seen as changes in our source code and our TFS merges require manual intervention to deal with this.

We've seen this with both Flare v9.x and v10.x, generating HTML5 help.

thanks in advance for any insight.

paul
vola_newbie2
Propeller Head

Post by vola_newbie2 »

Hi,
I have got the same problem. Still not fixed in version 12.
Any work around will be appreciated.

Anyone wants to help me promoting this feature request to MadCap ?
Put the following attributes MadCap-lastBlockDepth, MadCap-lastHeight, and MadCap-lastWidth in an another place as these information have nothing to do with topics nor snippets ?
cameronm
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cameronm »

Same issue - this data should not be stored in topic files - it will only result in spurious changes being committed to source control. Committers having to remember to strip them out pre-commit is not an acceptable workaround.

I'll add a feature request if that's the way to add weight to the argument...
lanval
Propeller Head

Post by lanval »

Wow. I posted the original post over 10 years ago, and it is still a problem....
Cheers,
Michael
oelgoetz
Propeller Head

Post by oelgoetz »

yeah. I think I also wrote a feature request concerning this annoying issue a couple of years ago.
But I think it has been fixed with MadCap 2018:
https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/F ... _Notes.htm (#89525,"Do not write lastBlockDepth, lastHeight and lastWidth")
... just sit and wait ... :D
LeahE
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by LeahE »

We're running into this problem too and using Flare 2019. I guess there's no suggested fix except to manually fix the conflict but it certainly is annoying.

If anyone has any better ways to address this, please post a reply.

Thanks
Leah