Copy an Entire Project?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Copy an Entire Project?

Post by Bambina_Mena »

What is the best way to copy an entire existing project? I need to do this to make a NEW project ... based on the old one. Thanks.
I am using Flare v10.2.2
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Copy an Entire Project?

Post by RamonS »

What you can do is copy the entire project folder to a different location and then use that as foundation for the new project. You can also rename the flprj file. Make sure to change any publish destinations right away so that you do not overwrite the published output from the original project.
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

Thank you very much for your quick reply. We use Subversion (SVN) for source control. Does this "complicate" the copy? -- at least initially?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I would assume so, but my experience with SVN is limited. What should work is to dissolve the original project from source control, then make the copy, then commit both projects. Others with more SVN experience might have a better idea.
emsachs
Propeller Head

Post by emsachs »

The SVN binding is just a few lines in the .flprj file. Copy over the project and rename the .flprj file as suggested above (delete the Analysis and Ouput folders before copying, it will go faster.).

Close your project. BACK UP your .flprj file then open it in a text editor. In the CatapultProject element in the beginning of the file, look for the following attribute:
SourceControlBound="true" CHANGE To SourceControlBound="false"

Then look for the following elements and delete them.
SourceControlDatabase="xxx"
SourceControlDatabaseRoot="xxx"
SourceControlProviderType="Subversion"

Now open your project and bind it to svn the way you would a completely new project
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

A quick way to do this is to use Project > Zip Project, as this gives you an option to remove the source control binding (in the flprj file) before it zips the project.

Then just open the flprjzip file and Flare will unzip the project to a new folder - without the source control binding, or read-only files.
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

My thanks to each of you that replied!
SusanL
Propeller Head

Post by SusanL »

To copy whole projects for a new version, I've always used the New Project Wizard and used the "New from existing" option and selected the flprj file of the project I want to copy. I don't use the bind to source option (I like to do it later), and I make sure I rename it to the next version.

It copies all the project files and I have not had a problem doing it this way. It's pretty simple.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Ditto to SusanL and Dave Lee. I have used both methods.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

gewbank
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by gewbank »

Thanks to emsachs for this insight.
I used this for a different reason. My company changed the IP of the SVN server and I struggled to get Flare to point to the new address without upsetting the source control. Importing from Source Control of course imported the old address as well and having Bind Detection turned on didn't help. Tortoise has a Relocate command but I couldn't find anything similar within Flare.
Just altering the SourceControlDatabase="xxx" and SourceControlDatabaseRoot="xxx" entries in the .flprj file, opening Flare and Reconnecting from within the Source Control tab fixed it in a jiffy.