Cross References and Lists

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
lizat
Sr. Propeller Head

Cross References and Lists

Post by lizat »

Dear Madcaps,

I suspect this still isn't possible but can I get my list number from an ordered list to appear as a cross reference?
I remember years ago having to do a fiddle with autonumbering on a list but it was less than satisfactory. does anyone know of a way?

Thank you............................. liz
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross References and Lists

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I know you can do it in Word so I remember in previous Flare versions trying to do the same, and I found a resounding NO. So I'll be very interested to see if anyone has since been able to find out how to do this. (As in, "Repeat steps 4 - 7" where 4 and 7 are cross-refs to the step numbers was what I was trying to do.)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cross References and Lists

Post by kkelleher »

We've got a StepNumber cross-reference type, but you aren't going to like how we got there.....

The install process of our app is very convoluted. In the install docs, we rely heavily on things like "skip step 3 if you use version X of app server Y." This isn't possible with ordered lists in HTML (and I don't think Flare supports it in any output types). Why is that? Because the number shown in the HTML is generated on the fly when the page is loaded, not when Flare writes the XML or HTML itself.

The HTML for an ordered list is:

Code: Select all

<ol>
  <li>Item 1</li>
  <li>Item 2</li>
  <li>Item 3</li>
</ol>
Which renders as:
1. Item 1
2. Item 2
3. Item 3

So the browser interprets the OL and generates a number; at build time, there isn't a step number that Flare can reference; it has no idea whether a step is the first or the fifth.

Instead of OL (which we would prefer to use), we're using Flare's AutoNumber feature. In the XML, it looks like:

<p class="Numbered" MadCap:autonum="1.">After completing .....</p>
In the output HTML, it looks like:

<td class="AutoNumber_p_Bullet" valign="top" data-mc-autonum="1.">After completing .....</td>
In the XML, the cross reference looks like:

(<MadCap:xref class="Step_Number" href="#step_add_driver_to_classpath">step 1</MadCap:xref>)
The HTML for the cross reference looks like:

(<a class="Step_Number MCXref xref xrefStep_Number selected" href="#step_add_driver_to_classpath">step 1</a>)
I don't think there is a solution for cross references pointing to the numbers of items in an OL.

One side effect of using the AutoNumber feature is that, under the covers, Flare builds all our procedures as tables, which has some unintended consequences. So this is definitely a kludge.

Thanks, and apolgies if this is tl;dr,

Kristen
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft